PDA

View Full Version : 2G Differentials-identification

bill f
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi guys. Being new to the RX7 2G which I want to prepare for ITS, I wondered if any one can tell me how to identify the 7 inch verses 8 inch differential housing? Without the Vin number to reference, how does one determine if a limited slip diff exists in the housing without disassembly? The unit I have to examine is out of the car.

Does the 7 in. unit have a different type of limited slip than does the 8 in.? If so, which will work best for racing?

Thanks for the information!

Good racing.

Bill

greendot
08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
To check for a limited slip, grab the input flange and hold it still. Turn one of the output yokes. If the other output yoke rotates the opposite direction, it's an open diff. If it's a limited slip, you won't be able to hold the input.
On the off chance that it's an 89+ viscous limited slip that will react like an open diff, but with resistance, to check further pull one of the side yokes out and look inside. If you can see a steel cross pin in there, it's an open diff.

I'm pretty sure that the 8" only came on Turbo models, so you can't use it in IT class.

Bruce Wentzel
Green Dot Racing, Inc.