PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle seal Leaking/seeping

tdw6974
07-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Have left rear axle seal leaking (1st Generation 84/85 disc brake axle)have replaced the seal several times used Napa seal switched to Mazda Factory seal even replaced the rear wheel bearing since the seal in the bearing looked like it had a small indentation in it. The Axle Flange plate has no Gasket and wondered if that might be the problem. Doesn't seem to loose a great amount but I don't like the idea of it leaking and lubing up the track. Have inspected the housing can seem to see any marks in seal seat area. Anyone offer some suggestions?

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi haulin' Rotary"

titanium
07-07-2004, 11:49 AM
I had a similar problem with my '83 rear axle. For about two years I replaced the seal after every other race. Also, the bearing seemed to need replacing on a regular basis.
My recently completed shop has a very flat floor, so while the car was on jackstands and the axles out of the rear, I set a large carpenters square on the floor and up to the axle flange. The drivers side was nice and square to the floor, but the passenger side was way off.
After removing the housing from the car, it was easy to see the bend in housing.
Rodney Williamson
#93 IT7
www.titaniummotorsports.com (http://www.titaniummotorsports.com)

Hahn63
07-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Rodney is right. Had the same problem and found a bent housing as well.

Roland

ITA 16

bcarter
07-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Hey, me too, 84', left rear. I changed the bearings and seals on both sides during the winter, but the left one didn't seem to take. It was OK before I changed everything. I did it because the bearings were getting worn.

It started to leak after the first race.

I have changed the seal again, and used a bunch of gasket goo on that triangular plate. I'll know next week if it still leaks.

What will bend the housing? I haven't hit anything, and haven't gone agricultural lately either...

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
Wheat Buckley Racing
# 10 Challenge Car
2003 Class Champion
Calgary, Alberta
http://www.guyons.com/pictures/photos_cars/06_30_rx7_brook2_150.jpg

GEO46
07-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Bouncing off kerbs, old age?, previous owner abuse are three reasons that come to mind that could bend an axle housing.