PDA

View Full Version : oil line guage fitting

dickita15
05-11-2004, 09:15 AM
this was inspired by jake's post in another section. I added a low pressure lite after i faile to notice a broken guage line but it is tee'd into the oil filter block. what i would like to do is tee it into the oil cooler return line so if i split a line or break the cooler it will light off before i pump 5 quarts out. anyone know what the size of the fitting into the block is or where i can get a fitting that i could tee a sensor into.
dick
ita rx7

dyoungre
05-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Dick,
After losing that 2nd engine last year due to a thermal induced oil leak (cooler had a crack in the bung weld) I added an autometer prolite and the standard autometer sending unit - which is 1/4" Pipe, in place of the stock sending unit. I don't know if that was the 'right' thread, but it torqued just fine, and doesn't leak...

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

dickita15
05-11-2004, 05:08 PM
dave
my understading is that the stock location is on the pressure side and that a holed cooler or blown cooler line would not show up on the light untill the sump is empty. what I would like to do is tee in to the cooler line where it returns to the block. the thread is about 17.5 mm with straight cut threads, not tapered.

by the way when you coming out.

dick

dyoungre
05-11-2004, 05:18 PM
How much restriction is there, going to the cooler in the first place? You might have to add a small restriction just to get the pressure to register - or have you put a gauge on it?

I hope to get to the July regional at NHIS. I'm selling a house, buying a house, getting married, and taking a 2 week honeymoon to recover...all within the next 6 weeks. Can't wait until the honeymoon - or until NHIS!!!

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

dickita15
05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by dyoungre:
How much restriction is there, going to the cooler in the first place? You might have to add a small restriction just to get the pressure to register - or have you put a gauge on it?

hmm good point but i think you would still have pressure at that point as the next stop should be the bearings which would create back pressure. i will have to test it though.
dick
ps glad to hear she has not wised up. enjoy.