PDA

View Full Version : Front Seal Leaking (2nd Gen RX7)???

AS-RACER
04-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Hey Everyone,

The Oil Seal in my Front cover (behind the ecentric shaft pulley) appears to be leaking. I haven't taken everything apart yet to look at it, but I was wondering if there is a way of taking it out and replacing it without removing the front cover. I am worried about breaking the oil pan gasket if I take the front cover off.

Thanks,

Sean S.
ITS RX7 #0
Colorado Region

C. Ludwig
04-19-2004, 05:27 AM
Yeah, it's easy. Use something to hold the clutch pedal to the floor. This is the most important step as it will keep pressure on the end of the e-shaft and prevent the torrington bearings at the front end from falling off their lands. Once you've done that remove the pulley. Pop the seal out and replace with a fresh one. Remember to lube the seal before you replace it. Also, it's a good idea to replace the crush washer on the pulley bolt.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

AS-RACER
04-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the response Chris.

AS-RACER
04-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Hey Chris,

I tried to replace the oil seal and now I can't get the pulley back on quite all the way. The pulley has to go back about a centimeter to line up right. I was told thats because the bearings came off. I'm wonder if there is another reason. The clutch pedal is still all the way down. Any Ideas??? I might take it to the local mazda guy this weekend and have him fix it for me.

Sean S.

C. Ludwig
04-24-2004, 12:28 PM
I'd say even if the bearings fell off the land it's not going to cause it to be out an inch. It's obvious, but do you have the woodruff key lined up properly. It usually sits back off the end of the e-shaft a bit so that you can get the pulley hub started on the shaft but not seated.

Also check that the thermo pellet (I'm assuming this is a 2nd gen motor) and it's spring are not fouling the pulley hub.

Good luck. If the clutch is in and there's tension on the back of the e-shaft it's pretty much impossible for the bearings to fall. Even loose there is only a few thousands play in the e-shaft.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited April 24, 2004).]