PDA

View Full Version : Hot car

Scooter
04-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Ok, I ran my car for the first time in a year or so yesterday, and it got too hot. (It's an '89 ITS RX-7) I researched it a bunch, and I determined that what I need to do is plug the bypass in the water pump and get another oil cooler. (I already have a Mazda Comp radiator and a gutted thermostat.)

So, I looked and looked, but I can't find any specific directions on plugging the water pump bypass. I really don't even know where the hole is that needs to be plugged. Is it in the water pump itself or in the block? Do you have to take the pump off to do it? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have ideas about mounting a second oil cooler? Maybe some pictures? Thanks in advance.

BrianB
04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
If you look into the thermostat housing,there is a bypass opening about the depth of the stock thermostat below the thermosat seat. The stock thermostat has a plate at the bottom that closes the bypass when it is fully open.Using a gutted stat,without a plug,hot coolant just continues to circulate through the engine,causing it to overheat.Just putting a new stat in may do the trick,and is better if the weather is cold to assure that coolant temps reach 180(at speed) for the fuel mixture to lean properly.
B

Scooter
04-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BrianB:
If you look into the thermostat housing,there is a bypass opening about the depth of the stock thermostat below the thermosat seat. The stock thermostat has a plate at the bottom that closes the bypass when it is fully open.Using a gutted stat,without a plug,hot coolant just continues to circulate through the engine,causing it to overheat.Just putting a new stat in may do the trick,and is better if the weather is cold to assure that coolant temps reach 180(at speed) for the fuel mixture to lean properly.
B

Ok, this makes sense. But now I'm not so sure that blocking that off is going to solve my cooling problems. Because it was running hot with the thermostat in place. So unless it was defective, or gutting it makes a big difference, I'm basically where I started.

Hmmm... well there's always the oil cooler.

BrianB
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Try a new stat, larger water pump pulley,smaller e shaft pully,pulley belt tension,water wetter,sealing up the duct area in front of the radiator.small puller fan at the top of the radiator. You might be able to tap the bypass hole for a plug with the housing in place.
Good luck
B