PDA

View Full Version : Rad Caps

bcarter
03-26-2004, 01:51 PM
I run a little too hot in the summer with my 12A streetport, and someone suggested I use a higher rated pressure cap. Currently I run a 13lb cap, and my buddy suggested I increase to 16lb.

Any thoughts.... I don't want to screw anything up...

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
Wheat Buckley Racing
# 10 Challenge Car
2003 Class Champion
Calgary, Alberta
http://www.guyons.com/pictures/photos_cars/06_30_rx7_brook2_150.jpg

bill f
03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Just a reminder, as I'm sure you know, that raising the pressure of the coolant will only raise the boiling point of the fluid, not lower the operating temp of the engine.

If you need to lower the temp, then you need to attack it from the standpoint of improving the efficiency of the system. Usually by ducting air more efficiently, or controlling the circulating fluid cycle speed (Pulley ratios), or increasing the area of the radiator.

Good Luck.

Bill

ddewhurst
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Brooke, if you revealed your temps somebody may have better info for you.

Water temp ?

Oil temp ?

David

bcarter
03-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Not too sure about oil temp, as I don't have that gauge yet, but water gets up over 200 - 210.

I'm running stock rad, and have already done the pulley swap.

I'm also looking at 3 row rad, or aluminum.

All shrouds in place around rad, and stock opening. I haven't gone for a dam yet, to force more air through, that may be next.

dickita15
03-27-2004, 09:04 AM
I had very ggod luck when i put in a new 3 row rad from napa. i was running too hot 220 - 240 and had to shot shift tried ducting and such, no help. put it the new rad and droped to 175. some of this, i am sure, was the 3 row design, some was a new clean unit
dick

Dick Elliott
03-27-2004, 08:06 PM
If you have removed the metal tray that runs under the radiator and the front of the engine, put it back. It must be there! Too much timeing or too lean will make you run hot. Running a stock electric pump will make you run lean on top end. Removeing the thermostat with out pluging the bypass hole will make you run realy hot.Letting the hood rase up in the rear at speed is a waste of time. Hope this helps. DICK

Eagle7
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by bcarter:
Not too sure about oil temp, as I don't have that gauge yet...
Get one. Oil temp is commonly a bigger problem than water temp - at least in a 13B.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR