PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Rear Hub Removal

Eagle7
01-13-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to get the rear hubs off the parts car ('88). The hub has a "fork" at the top that attaches to the lower arm through a bushing. There is a sleeve through the hole in the hub that extends into the cavity of the bushing that prevents the hub from separating from the lower arm. The sleeve doesn't want to budge. What's the right way to get this off? The FSM doesn't say a thing about it.

Thanks,

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

C. Ludwig
01-13-2004, 11:25 PM
You can usually move it enough where you can take a drift or large punch and get an edge of the metal sleeve and drive it back enough to clear. Way I've always gotten them apart.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

bill f
02-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Chris,

Along that line, in disassembling a potential race car, does it make any sense to remove the complete rear suspension/drive train by dropping the subassembly?

I will be attacking the rear end of the car soon, and just wondered.

Thanks,

Bill

C. Ludwig
02-03-2004, 07:04 PM
If you're going to replace the trailing arm bushings and at least put new seals in the diff then yes. Might as well. Once you get it all down there are only the two nuts that hold the subframe up there anyway. Easiest way sometimes is to drop the subframe with suspension as a unit. You'll need a couple floor jacks and a buddy to do it comfortably though.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Silkworm
02-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Yeah, dropping the rear subframe isn't that bad, gives you a chance to press-in delrin bushings http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

PaulC