PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing dust caps

Marcus Miller
01-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Does anyone have a source for these? I'd like a couple spares, but can't find any online. . . the junk yard ones I've looked at were beat up worse than mine (if possible!).
If not a source, how about the specs? What diameter did Mazda spec these at?

thanks!!
Marcus

------------------
Miller-Motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure

01-15-2004, 03:10 AM
mazda comp has them in stock

Daryl

Cheers!
01-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Mazda Dealership, they are cheap, i think i got two for like 10 bucks canadian.

Marcus Miller
02-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Yep, that's where I ended up also. I now have two in my spare's kit, I should buy two more.. I am mostly worried about hub flex as a cause for losing them; I might be overthinking the situation., not sure the RA1/ Hoosiers generate enough grip to flex the hub. . . Anyone have a chronic problem losing these?

Marcus

Weaver7
02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Have lost 4 of them in the past 2 years.

Quickshoe
02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I think the problem may be linked to heat and component growth. Why not put a little dab of high temp sealant on the mating surface of the dust cap?

I've seen them siliconed on. Safety wired on. Even had a little pin hole vent drilled in the center of them. All various attempts to retain them that appeared to work.

Marcus Miller
02-04-2004, 12:16 AM
I've got pin holes; I might try some high temp sealant if I ever lose one. . .

thanks guys!
Marcus

moto62
02-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Quickshoe is right. Heat that builds up pressue in the rotors is just enough to pop those bearing caps off. A bit of loctite (red) around the mating surfaces have worked wonders for me. Haven't replaced one since I started to use that stuff.
Ray