PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Carbs for ITA / IT7

ishod
01-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I've been through all of the posts on this forum, as far back as I can go (2001 or so), and I haven't seen anything that addresses this question. I have either overlooked the topic, or I'm just dumb when it comes to carbs and the answer is obvious so no one has bothered to address it.

With that preamble, is there anyone in this group willing to help me understand the following...

The car is a 1st Gen RX7 which will be racing in IT7.

The preface is: In reference to SCCA GCR D.1.a.5 "All single carbureted cars may fit an approved optional carburetor. Approved optional carburetors are:

1 Weber 32 DGV/DGAV/DGEV
1 Weber 32/36 DGV/DGAV/DGEV
1 Weber 32/36 DFV/DFAV/DFEV
1 Weber 34 DAT/DATR/DATRA/DMTR
1 Holley-Weber 5200

The question is: Do any of these "optional" carbs offer better performance than the stock Nikki (sp?) carb?

I understand that it is best to have the Nikki carb professionally rebuilt and properly jetted, BUT...

Is anyone using any of these "optional" carbs on their 1st Gen RX7's?

Feel free to tell me why it's dumb to ask. Thanks in advance for your input.

Scott Goble
Ozark Mountain Region
MIDIV IT7 #33

ddewhurst
01-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Scott, in 4 years of racing a 1st gen in IT I have never viewed anything other than the Nikki.

Might be some comparitive info on www.yawpower.com (http://www.yawpower.com)

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Quickshoe
01-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Scott,

I don't think that any of the optional carbs can flow anywhere near what the stock Nikki can. If they could you would probably see somebody somewhere with one instead of the Nikki. The aftermarket for the 12A also doesn't offer any kits with a carb from the approved list...leads me to further conclude that you should stick with the Nikki.

ishod
01-24-2004, 08:55 AM
That's what I suspected. So now I'm ready to send my spare Nikki to a professional rebuilder. I've read all of the good things about Yaw both in this forum and on his web site. Would love to have him build my carb but I wont because of the difficulty of being able to talk to him. I've decided to send it to 7's Only. They claim to build a carb as good or better than Yaw and I know I can contact them easily, even on race weekends. Does anyone have any experience with their carb? BTW their price is $225 plus about $6.00 for each extra jets.