PDA

View Full Version : Started Junk Yard engine-what should it sound like??

bill f
12-29-2003, 06:07 PM
I need someone's expertise: Just started a very old engine ('89 G2-13B), and it started IMMEDIATELY. However, it sounded weak, maybe on one rotor, then after five seconds or so, it seemed to "clear up" and sounded OK (?). It had no noticeable vibration, actually felt smooth, without any unusual noises.

I guess my question is: What do they sound like when running with full exhaust...4 cylinder, 3 cylinder??

Aside from the smoking which I kind of expected, I'm not sure what it should sound like.

This is a chassis purchased to eventually be an ITS race car. Construction will start very soon if the underside looks as good as the outside.

Any thoughts?

Good racing.

Bill

pgipson
12-29-2003, 08:54 PM
The only rotary that I have experience with that lost an apex seal was a 12A during a race. It sounded sorta like a 4 cyl on 2 1/2, and would only rev to about 5000 or so. At an idle it was obviously very sick.

Greg Amy
12-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Well, the others go "boing, boing, boing" but the Mazda goes "Hmmmmmmmmmm"!

lateapex911
12-30-2003, 03:05 AM
It sounds fine to me. With out an exhaust, it will sound like a leafblower on steroids.

At idle, it will purr smoothly. It will zoom to redline easily, and smoothly.

With a full exhaust, it sould sound pretty quiet and smooth.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

joeg
12-30-2003, 08:23 AM
WAHHHHH PHTTT PHTTT PHTTTT HMMMMMMMMM

(I don't have a sound card).

Bill--Just bolt the sucker in and go. Do you realize how many of those gems I have helped people build?

ddewhurst
12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
***However, >>>>it sounded weak,<<<< maybe on one rotor, then after five seconds or so, it seemed to "clear up" and sounded OK (?).***

Bill, dump a small ammount of automatic transmission fluid into each compression chamber. Put the plugs in, spin it with the starter, let it sit for a couple days, start it up & let it run. This will free up any sticking seals.

If ya have any questions about the apex seals being screwed up or gone pull out the leading plug & with flash light & mirror look into the leading plug hole. While the plug is out spin the motor over & if the thing has a bad or gone seal you will only get one compression PUFF from each rotor revolution. Do both cylinders & it's obvious if a seal is realy bad, broke or missing. With one seal GONE the motor will run but it sounds like it has no balls. PTTTTTTTTTT instaed of BZZZZZZZZZZZ

Later http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

bill f
12-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks to all. I feel more confident now. I get to strip the chassis for inspection this weekend...

Joeg...I had forgotten your history with these things. I'll be talking to you probably at the next meeting.

Happy New Year.

Bill