PDA

View Full Version : 12a timing part 2

benracin
10-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Went out to the car today to time it to the 24 and 16 degrees for the first time and things weren't as easy as we thought. We have the smaller competition drive pulley on the car and it has 3 marks on the pulley colored red, white, and black. After doing some math it looks like black is 24 degrees from red, and white is 16 degrees from red, at least that's our guess. So in order from left to right it goes:

black / white / red

Red = TDC
White = 16 degrees counter clockwise
Black = 24 degrees counter clockwise
( I think )

We turned the distrib as far advace as she'll go and all we can manage is the red line with white and black being further down the road. This kind of makes us think that maybe the distrib is off a tooth. But last race we ran it in this setting and the car seems to run fine. Can a rotory run and idle good being a whole tooth off? When advancing the timing like we are trying, do you need to put the distrib off a tooth on purpose?

I'm just guessing that the lines on the pulley are what we are trying to achieve. It came on the car. Does anyone have experience with a pulley with these colors?

Thanks again!

ddewhurst
10-04-2003, 07:56 PM
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited October 12, 2003).]

10-07-2003, 02:57 PM
be warned, mazda comp sold a boatload of mismarked pulleys in 2002.

benracin
10-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure this pulley is pretty old so I doubt it's one of those, but man would that suck. I'm going to check out that manual tonight and see what the story is. I just need all the saturn (Bill) fighting power I can find.