PDA

View Full Version : Power Problem in 13B

benspeed
09-23-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm stumped and need some help. My new Vansteenberg motor had been pulling just fine. Now it seems to lose power after it heats up to about 185 degrees. Motor will be hauling butt and then go into a limp mode where it has no power and a weak exhaust note. Then the motor will catch, make the appropriate sounds and rev and then go back into limp mode. TPS is not the probelem. Looking at airflow meter and new brain tonight.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Ben
#33 ITS
NNJR

jake7140
09-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Coil(s)? Something else in the ignition? If it was a 12a I'd say ignitors, but 13b doesn't have them. So I'm thinking heat might affect the coil(s)s.

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>

paulydee
09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
What year is your car? Does it have electric oil metering? That is a common limp mode cause.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

benspeed
09-25-2003, 06:37 AM
My car is an 86 with the 86 brain and an 89 motor. How can I check both the coils or electronic oil metering? Both suggetions are most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

eprodrx7
09-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Try looking at your water temp sensor. If the sensor is not working or there is a brake in the circuit then it has the same affect as driving around with the choke on. Resistance values are listed for appropriate temps in the manual. First check the sensor then check that the values are the same at the ECU end of the harness. Good luck

John Weisberg
BERG Racing
Stratford CT.

benspeed
09-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks John - that makes excellent sense considering the nature of the problem. I'll post what the test turns up.

Ben

benspeed
09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Still no luck - brought the car to the track and had several experts look at it. None of us can figure this out. What's the word on the street about KD Rotary? I received a recommendation to bring it to them for diagnosis.

Thanks,

Ben

paulydee
09-30-2003, 11:05 PM
KD is a primo RX-7 shop. That equates to you will get very good service but you might have to wait some time before they can look at it. They're always fully booked, so I don't know how they handle walk ins.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com