PDA

View Full Version : Carbotech 1108/1109

CaptainWho
08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Has anyone tried the Carbotech 1108 or 1109 brake pad compounds? Specifically, has anyone compared them to the Hawk Blues?

Over in the "Bargain Shopper" forum people have some good things to say about them. And I really liked their Panther Plus compound on my '99 Mustang GT street car when I did an HPDE in it at Kershaw.

------------------
CaptainWho
http://www.NutDriver.org

Silkworm
08-05-2003, 12:34 PM
I installed a set of 1109s on my ITS car and ran the new Reno track last month. Not a lot of hard braking at the track, so not a great test, but they definitely felt much improved over the panther plus pads I was running.. The braking was easier to modulate at lockup than the plus pads were, and overall force seemed greater. I never faded the panther plus pads, nor did I with the 1109s.

I'll have a better test early September at Thunderhill, but my first impressions are a big thumbs up.

(never ran Hawk blues, sorry I can't help with a comparison there)

PaulC

CaptainWho
08-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the information. I need a set of pads for our ITA RX-7, so I'm trying to figure out whether to go with the old standby Hawk Blues or try the Carbotechs.

------------------
CaptainWho
http://www.NutDriver.org

Allen Brown
08-13-2003, 05:19 PM
I use the Panther XP (1109?) on the front and the Panther Plus (1108) on the rear on my GSL-SE. They wear well, and are very rotor friendly, and pretty easy to modulate. I've been using Carbotech's pads for thae last 3 years. Quite happy, but in all honesty, I haven't tried Hawk Blues. Just ridden in cars where blues were installed.

IP2GSR
09-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Hey guys!

While it looks like I am a little late getting to this thread I will chime in anyway.

I have run Hawk blues on my ITS Integra for over two years and liked them..... I recently tried the 1109 due to the increase in cost of the blues. After running Carbotech's for the better part of this year I won't switch back. IMHO They are easier to modulate, are more rotor friendly and seem to tolerate the heat even better than the blues. Did I mention they are cheaper LOL

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Dave

Greg Gauper
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
But the $64K question here in Cen-Div is....will they work at Blackhawk!

No ifs, ands, or buts.....there is no track in the country, repeat no track in the country as hard on the brakes as Blackhawk.

(ok, maybe Martinsville is tougher, but that's for big heavy roundy-round cars)

IP2GSR
09-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Well let me expand on a point I made

"they seem to tolerate the heat better...."

Same track, same car, same driver, after 30 min race I used to experience slight fade with blues. I now experience no fade after the same conditions with Carbotech.

When I ran the blues I used to think it was the fluid that was the cause of the fade.

I know some people are brand loyal and the Hawk blues are good pads. Hey, try a set for a practice day. Hell, if they don't work at Blackhawk, then run them off in the rain and keep the blues for dry.

Shouldn't cost you $64k..... no wait... I'll sell you a set for say... $63k (joking)

Dave