PDA

View Full Version : First Gen RX7 front suspension help?

newbierx7
08-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Hello all!

I'm working on a first gen Rx7 and have a stupid question on a set of Ground control camster/camber plates. These were given to me by the previous owner, and I can't find the answer on the web anywhere. . .

Which side of the Strut tower do these mount to? i.e. Do the plates sit on top of the strut tower (engine compartment side)or on the bottom of the strut tower (in the wheelwell)?

Also, I'm working on installing a Ground Control big front sway bar, and it came with new bushings, but not new frame mounts. Currently I don't see how this is ever going to fit together using the original frame mounts. Am I supposed to modify these? Anyone have any tips or tricks to do this?

I already tried cussing, throwing things and beer. . .

thanks!
Tim

[This message has been edited by newbierx7 (edited August 24, 2003).]

Festus E. Simkins
08-25-2003, 01:32 PM
They mount on top of the strut tower. In Jim Susko's (G-Force Tri-Link designer)book, he has a method of mounting them so you get more shock travel.

His book is worth the $75 price tag. If you run a 1 gen car it is a must have.

Drive well.

Quickshoe
08-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Call Ground Control.

Perhaps their design has changed over the years...I had a set of their C/C plates and they mounted under the strut tower (in the wheel well).

I also had their bar which mounted with stock frame mounts. I believe it was around 28mm and I don't know how a bar any bigger would have cleared the oil cooler.

Perhaps you need less cussing and more beer!

wlfpkrcn
08-25-2003, 06:05 PM
I agree call Ground Control. They mount on the bottom but you will need the template to modify the strut tower for full caster adjustment. I think the pro7 bar is a 32 mm and don't recall any problems with fitting. I could be wrong on the bar though.

Eric

newbierx7
08-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Hmm, that's 2-1 under/ over. . . .

Thanks for the heads up on the g-Force book, I had heard of it, but didn't know the author.

I do have the template, I haven't cut the towers yet. Has anyone had a mounting point failure on the tower related to the cutting?

I think I'll try more beer next time http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

thanks guys!

dickita15
08-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by newbierx7:
Hmm, that's 2-1 under/ over. . . .

under is traditional
over is an improvement that Susko of g force came up with.(at least that is were i first heard it)

rx7chris
08-26-2003, 10:14 AM
The C/C plates i had on my 7 mounted on top of the strut tower. If i remember correctly the sway bar came with new end bushings as well as new mount bushings. i'd call ground control to make sure, there's only 2 guys there that i trust(they actually run 7's and don't act like somethings crammed 12in up their but) the owner and his right hand man. can't remeber their names, but they're on their website.

------------------
Chris
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

rlekun
08-26-2003, 01:43 PM
My GC camber plates are about 10 years old and were designed to mount on top. In fact you had to grind the flare off the top of the strut tower to fit them. IMHO, this ia s bad design and I have problems with the plates bending in places from hitting apex gators a bit too aggressively. I believe you could easily adjust the coilovers to mount underneath (which I plan to do this weekend). May not work for all set-ups. I use Tokicos Illumina, turn-in spacers, 225/45 tires and panasports with GC's coilover set-up....

Quickshoe
08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
The two guys at Ground Control to speak to are Jay or Tony?.

Tony is the name that came to mind, but it's been years since I've seeked their advice. Looking at my old receipts the Sales guys' initials are "AER" perhaps Anthony/Tony.

I didn't slot/notch my towers. I was able to get more than enough neg camber. My caster was around +4, I would have liked a little more, which would have required modifiying the towers.

lateapex911
08-26-2003, 08:21 PM
Mine are GC as well, vintage '97. I cut the towers per the template and mounted under per their instructions.

Mounting on the top is an option, BUT it must use the correct fasteners and hardware, or the thrust surface will be greatly reduced, presumably creating distortion in the towers.

Call Susko at G-force Engineering. Google him on the web for his number. He knows his stuff, but remember, it's all a system and all the parts need to work together...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Allen Brown
08-27-2003, 09:18 AM
As someone has mentioned already. Check out Susko's website (G-Force Engineering). There is a section on Mazda Suspension, where his book is listed. I can't say I have done everything in the book, but there is allot of very good / interesting information. Take a look on the website first...

Festus E. Simkins
08-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Sorry if I mislead you with my first response. Originally my camber plates mounted under the strut tower. I Jim's book it tells you how to mount them above the tower and get more shock trave.

Jim's web site is:

http://www.gforceengineering.net/

Drive well.

newbierx7
09-02-2003, 12:22 AM
thanks guys!

We got in. no problems. Lots more beer, a little thinking (okay; that was before the beer) adn cussing and the fronst suspension is in.
My next problem is the brake padds draggign the rotors. The manual says somethign about an anti rattle spring, butthe brakes I took off the car idn'thave such a thing, the new pads (hawk blues) didn't come with one.

Is it needed?
Is it (most likely) causing the pad dragging sound?
How does they install?

thanks!
an elated,
Tim

dickita15
09-02-2003, 06:50 AM
[quote]Originally posted by newbierx7:
[b]thanks guys!
The manual says somethign about an anti rattle spring.

Is it needed?
no. the only time you will notice thier missing is driving around the paddock you will hear a rattle. just touch the brake pedal with you left foot and it will stop.

Is it (most likely) causing the pad dragging sound?
no.

How does they install?
they clip over the ends of the pad when you stick them in the calipers.

have you run the car yet and broke in the pads. if not you may not really have a problem.
dick

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited September 02, 2003).]

newbierx7
09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Gotcha,

I haven't put (m)any miles on the brakes/ suspension yet. Around the block a couple times, and the crew took it around for a quick trip. I was trying to go easy on the brakes, since I didn't have time or a place to bed them in properly.

Thanks,
Tim