PDA

View Full Version : Vin number codes for 2G diff ?

bill f
08-28-2003, 11:01 AM
The dealers don't have the information any more, they say. So I am looking for codes that will tell me what ratio, and what type differential is in my '89 RX-7 GXL. Does it appear in the Vin, or in the Serial Number?

Any one have the information? It would be greatly appreciated.

Good racing. Bill

C. Ludwig
08-29-2003, 05:19 PM
If it's a 5-speed car it's a 4.10. All 5-speeds except the GTUs got 4.10s. The GTUs got a 4.30 with a viscous LSD. Autos got 3.90s. That's the only model to get the viscous. With the 89+ models Mazda started going the cheap route and the cars started to be decontented more and more. Easy way to tell if it's a LSD is to look for a tag at the fill plug that tells you so or to jack up the rear and and turn one rear wheel. If the other wheel turns the same direction it's got an LSD. If it goes the other way it's open. Chances are it really doesn't matter as most hugh mileage clutch type LSD are worn out anyway.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited August 29, 2003).]

bill f
08-31-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks Chris. Mine is covered until I get totally moved into the new house...priorities, you know. This is called protecting your future racing interests!!!

Bill

C. Ludwig
09-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Looks like the 'vert autos got 4.10 open diffs too. Need to brush up on my 2G history. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv