PDA

View Full Version : Trans assembly?

C. Ludwig
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Had a tranny die on me a couple months back. It was a year old rebuild built by a local shop. It was an S5 or 89-92 trans. Was silky smooth but decided to eat fourth gear. I decided to disassemble it and do my own rebuild figuring it can't be too hard. First thing I noticed was that fourth gear only meshed about half the gear surface. The gears were very poorly aligned and the wear pattern showed it had been that way since the start. No wonder it broke I thought. Matter of fact none of the gears aligned properly. The most obvious fault was the bearings on the output shaft and the back of the counter shaft. The output bearing was setting half way outside the case and the counter bearing was half inside the case. At first I was mad because this was obviously not right. But upon further inspection of three more similar Mazda trannys (one 1st and 2nd gen trans and one from a Courier pickup which is visually identical for practical purposes) it was confirmed that all four, two of which were factory built all had this characteristic. I'm about to start building a new box and have ordered all the shims offered but from my measurements it doesn't appear I'll be able to make everything line up with the shims offered by Mazda. What gives?

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Eagle7
08-08-2003, 06:25 PM
That was a bad weekend, wasn't it!
Keep us posted. I'll have (at least) two to do this winter.
Good luck.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited August 08, 2003).]

ITSRX7
08-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Before you do the rebuild, make sure you have all the Mazda tools you need to get everything done. The whole set will cost you over $750.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

C. Ludwig
08-08-2003, 07:23 PM
No need to drop the big money when you get creative with your friend at the machine shop. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

C. Ludwig
08-12-2003, 05:34 PM
ttt

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv