PDA

View Full Version : QUICK! I need a clutch!

benracin
08-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Well this weekend was going to be the big engine swap. I'm moving from a broke 83 12A to a 85 12A. We thought the clutch would just be an easy swap but funny enough, the flywheel and clutch that came off this 83 just don't match up.

Anyhoo, who makes a good clutch? Centerforce was used on the car but I think I've heard that there's a better alternative. Any ideas? I need to get this puppy in so I can see if the engine runs and cruise out to road america on the 16th. Time for the hurry up offense!

Thanks friends!

Ben.

[This message has been edited by benracin (edited August 02, 2003).]

lateapex911
08-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Ben- I'm doing that dance myself. The sizes changed in the '84 and '85 cars. I called Mazda, they suggest two alternatives. The tried and true Centerforce, and the 4 pucker, who's name escapes me. Pricing is comparable, the Cenerforce is the standard, but the 4 puck unit may offer rev benifits due to lighter inerta. Probably very minor considering the weight of our flywheels. It is also harsher in it's takeup, and requires more pedal effort. (That part is good, actually!)

Give 'em a call, they'll have it in your garage in two days for under $10 shipping.

Good luck!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

benracin
08-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Which one did you decide to go with? I wonder how difficult that four puck clutch makes loading the car on the trailer. That package is just a tad bit cheaper then the centerforce isn't it. So many choices!

wlfpkrcn
08-04-2003, 04:41 PM
I would use a racing beat 4 puck disk and a GSL-SE Pressure plate. When I first built my car I used a stock friction disc and SE pressure plate. I then switched to a 82 flywheel and used a 4 puck with a stock pressure plate. Both set ups worked well. The SE pressure plate is supposed to have stronger springs than the stock 12A plate.

Eric

lateapex911
08-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Stay tuned...will report tomorrow after testing at LRP...if it doesn't rain.............again!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]