PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

elJefe
07-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,
I was referred here from another web forum. Seems like a cool place so far!
My roommate picked up a 1987 RX-7 (n/a) for $200. A great price, but it needs a starter, the motor has a low compression, and it's an auto.
So, my questions are, where can I get this motor rebuilt (or can I do it myself) and how easy/difficult is a manual trans swap?
Thanks!

paulydee
07-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Well there are a multitude of shops around the country that rebuild rotaries. You wil find prices from $1700-$4000 depending of who does it and what seals you use in the motor. I had my rebuilt by atkinsrotary.com.

As for the tranny swap, it can be a bit involved as you will need a lot of components for the manual setup. You would almost have to have a donor car.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

noresull
07-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Did You measure compression with a rotary compression tester? Do You know much about the rotaries?

elJefe
07-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,
I checked out that link in the first reply, it looks pretty good. I have not checked the compression, the guy who sold it to my roommate just said it had low compression. My knowledge of rotaries is weak compared to the reciprocating piston engine http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif But, the more I know the better.

noresull
07-17-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, a little trick this really cool guy showed us was to remove the lower spark plug, one rotor at a time then crank the engine over and listen for 3 distinct puffs, atleast, make sure the 2 rotors sound alike. This will tell you ifone rotor is in worse shape than the other. From what I can tell, and I too am very new to Rotaries, the rotary can run ok on almost any compression so as long as it has good sounding rotors, it should run strong.