PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen front wheel bearings

C. Ludwig
07-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Anyone else have a problem with maintaining proper adjustment on the front wheel bearings on a 2G RX-7? Every weekend I set them and every weekend I come home and they're a bit loose. Not huge loose but even a small bit of play annoys/worrys me. I've tried the method in the factory manual as well as a couple different methods and I've tried the "man that seems a bit too tight" method. I've never had a problem setting wheel bearings on other cars, trucks or trailers. I try to ensure that the lock cap and cotter pin are indexed so as to not give any slack for the nut to back off the least little bit. Anyone have any ideas or sure fire methods? Thanks!

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

paulydee
07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
I have had bearings go bad and exhibit the same symptoms. A close visual on the races and the bearing rollers themselves might reveal some issues. Wheel bearings are always a pain in the ass as Mazda does not sell them seperately. Even when you can get new bearings seperately, it is a pain to replace the races without damaging the hubs.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

Dave Burchfield
07-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Mazdatrix has a good article on how to replace them. I had planned to take the time soon to do a set on some spare hubs to see how they work. I think once the modification is done, they should be pretty easy to do. One might also be able to source the bearings locally, as well.

Chris....I check/repack mine every time I go out. Grease is very cheap as compared to balling up the car from a failure. I'm sure you agree. The best to you this weekend...

Pauly.....did you find the rack you needed? Or do you need me to get the phone number for you?

db

paulydee
07-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Actually I was waiting for that phone number.
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

C. Ludwig
07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
I set 'em every week and then check 'em at the track and seems like they never keep a good adjustment. Just another Mazda quirk I guess?

I've got new bearings and races. Used the Mazdatrix method which works well. I had some reservations about hub integrity but there hasn't been an issue.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Nick Leverone
07-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Ours seem to loosen regularly also, if that is any conselation.

------------------
Nick Leverone
04 ITS Mazda Rx-7
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Silkworm
07-15-2003, 02:10 PM
So far so good on mine, they don't loosen up significantly, I check each event.

PaulC

lateapex911
07-15-2003, 08:43 PM
My first gen does it too, esp after replacement. I'm wondering if it's the races really getting seated.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]