PDA

View Full Version : Read the Label, Stupid

Eagle7
07-04-2003, 10:12 PM
During the second on-track session of my drivers school last weekend, I started trailing a plume of smoke. Turned out one of the differential output shaft seals was leaking oil which was being thrown onto the exhaust pipe. Couldn't repair it, and thought I was going to wash out of the school. We decided some RTV packed into the gap between the diff and the flange might slow it down, and bending the lip on the flange might hold the RTV in, and I could get some more track time in. Babying it the rest of the day got me into the final race session, where I nearly asphyxiated a few fellow students. Passed the school.

When I got home I started reading labels, and found that Red Line MT-90 says "This product is not designed for use in a rear-wheel drive differential which requires a GL-5 lubricant." Oops, looks like I cooked my own goose. I'd used it because it's what the previous owner of the car recommended (also for the transmission).

That diff is toast for now, and the spare LSD on the shelf is going in to be ready for the Nelson Ledges school.

What gear oil should I use - the Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 I put in my truck? Does it need an additive for the LSD?

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

miketrier
07-06-2003, 12:38 PM
I've used Castrol fully synthetic 75w90 for several years in my 1st gen with no problems. Friends use the valvoline produce with similar success.

paulydee
07-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Marty,

I have been using Redlne for almost 5 years now without issues. MT-90 is for the transmission. I use Redline 75W90 for the diff. and Redline 50WT for the engine.

The 75W90 is made with LSD diffs in mind.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

moto62
07-08-2003, 12:17 AM
I highly recommend Mobil 1 for everything and if Mobil 1 is not available, then the next best thing will be Valvoline Synpower. Never broke, burned up, or blowed up anything using these products. I have spun a few bearings while using a certain highly advertised, don't refine our own stuff, brand of oil.(Name witheld for fear of being sued for defamation) http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

Eagle7
07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by paulydee:
... and Redline 50WT for the engine.

How did you settle on 50WT? I didn't have a clue what to use, and started with 30WT.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Tak
07-14-2003, 09:30 PM
For differential lube, I really like Redlines Shockproof oil. I use the light blue variety...I don't remember what weight that is.
I've heard that it is not good for high horsepower application, but we don't have that problem with Gen 1's...

Also make sure that you run a limited slip additive. Redline/Amsoil/Mobil/Valvoline all make them. I have no idea what they are, but I add them in 30cc increments until the diff stops chattering coming off slow corners.

Tachi
#29 ITA SFR SCCA

paulydee
07-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Marty,

When it was a street car I always ran 20W50. I like the thicker oil because it seems to maintain oil pressure better, especially in the summer. When I went ITS, I figured stay with the high end of the viscosity (50). I have spoken to guys who race third gens and 50wt was the choice to go with.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com