PDA

View Full Version : Timing vs. HP correlation

paulydee
07-09-2003, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any data regarding timing vs. HP output? I dynoed the car a little while back and afterwards I relized the timing was retarded a bit. I know some guys like to advance the timing for a light boost in HP. I wanted to know if 1 degree of timing equaled to "x" amount of HP.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

bcarter
07-09-2003, 05:42 PM
I just dynoed mine as well, but obviously have a different approach.

I usually make at least 6 passes on the dyno, and fine tune the HP by starting at a point, and for each pass, I move the timing a little bit, advance, or retard, until I find the optimum timing. I don't even use the timing light except to set the timing at the start of the first pass.

Moving the distributor as little as half of the width of the adjusting nut makes a difference in HP, maybe only 2 or 3 hp, but a difference all the same.

I end up with the max HP available through timing that way. We did set-up and 6 passes, with downtime in between to change the distributor out for a new one, and to adjust the timing in just an hour billable dyno time.

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
Wheat Buckley Racing
# 10 Challenge Car
2002 Class Champion
Calgary, Alberta

Quickshoe
07-09-2003, 10:13 PM
There isn't a direct correlation between advancing timing and an increase in HP.

Basically, you are going to have an optimum setting for a given combination of variables. Any variance from that optimum setting is going to produce less HP.

What you are trying to do is complete the burn of all a/f prior to a certain eccentric shaft/crank angle. Too soon, or too late and you've lost pressure on the rotor/piston.