PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen starters

dickita15
07-08-2003, 04:59 PM
my car does not hot start well and the starter seems slow so i was going to try a new one. I called napa and requested a 82 starter and they asked if it was 8, 9 or 11 tooth drive. i thought they were all the same. i checked the pile of old ones and sure enough i had 8 and 11's. they look like they all would fit. if so is there an advantage to one over the other. will the 11 spin the motor faster.
dick

ddewhurst
07-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Dick, if the starter motor had sufficent torque to rotate the engine with either the 8 or 11 tooth the 11 tooth would spin the engine faster.

I don't know what the deal is with the 8, 9 & 11 tooth starters but if the flywheel has the same number of teeth for all three I would suspect that the starter motor centerline is offset to the 2 mounting holes. So that if ya had the 11 tooth & ya put in a 8 tooth ya wouldn't have a bunch of clearance between the flywheel gear & the starter gear.

With your HOT engine start have you tried the following. 3 slow pumps of the gas pedal to the floor, then hold (& keep it to the floor)the gas pedal half way to the floor, turn the switch/key & most times WHAM-O the thing starts.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited July 08, 2003).]