PDA

View Full Version : Help with parking brake install on 90 GXL

OmOlsRx7
06-25-2003, 01:43 PM
OK, I realize you guys probably remove your parking brake for the race cars, but I'm just fishing for help.

I installed reman. rear calipers and am having trouble seating the parking brake caliper in its bracket on the driver side. The passenger side went on no problem.

The problem, as I see it, is that when I hook the end of the cable into the spring-loaded arm that engages the brake, I can't pull it back far enough to seat the cable. I undid the locking nuts as far as I could, but couldn't get enough slack in the cable.

Any ideas? Thx.

paulydee
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
I am not exactly sure where the problem is coming from. I usually unbolt the bracket that the parking brake cable grommet sits in. Then there is plenty of play to get the T portion in the caliper.

I still have a parking brake http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

Karl Bocchieri
06-25-2003, 06:11 PM
The adjuster might be completely tightened,loosten it up, replace the assembly and then readjust untill you can only pull up on the handle 3 to 5 clicks.

My 1st racecar had no parking brake, always a pain, if it is in working order and not dragging, a parking brake is great to have when your loading the car on the trailer or in the paddock.
The whole parking brake assembly and cable weighs only a few pounds.

jrx13
06-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Have you ever used the parking brake before? Just wondering. One of mine is frozen stuck, I just left it disconnected. Pretty common on 2nd gen. Rx-7. Been meaning to put another one on. It is a pain when loading on the trailer sometimes.

Jack

[This message has been edited by jrx13 (edited June 25, 2003).]