PDA

View Full Version : tools...

frazer
06-23-2003, 11:36 PM
since i like hanging out here so much, i'll ask you guys. here's the deal. still putting the car together. tonite i went to sears and was looking at impact guns. first, i checked out the sears 18.0 cordless. nice, but not perfect. then, for an extra $30, the guy showed me a 6hp, 30 gallon air compressor w/ gun, hose, etc... i see so many uses for it (wheels, pulleys, suspension, etc...). what's everyone else have and how much are you really using it?

thanks,

mike

joeg
06-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Both.

I really luv the cordless for the track and even use it at the shop! Mine is the Milwaukee.

However, there is a definite need for a good compressor.

Probably the most frequently used piece in the shop. The least used--a drill press.

Cheers.

planet6racing
06-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I'll second the cordless for at the track. I've got the $129 unit from Harbor Freight (19.2 Volts, 220 ft*lbf of torque). It works great and has no troubles tightening/loosening what I need it to do.

I also have the Sears pneumatic gun at home. It spins faster, has about the same ultimate rated torque, but is smaller than the cordless. This comes in handy in those pesky spots that you can't quite get to or are annoying to get to with a socket wrench. Also, having the compressor will let you buy all sorts of other goodies including socket drivers, blowers, pneumatic hammers/chisels, die grinders, etc.

I have something like a 6 gallon compressor and it works good for what I need. If I run it too long, it does not keep up. But, I use the time while it is recharging to go get something to drink (especially in the summer when it is getting damn hot), then come back to it.

------------------
Bill
92 Saturn SL2 (SCCA ITA)
93 Saturn SL2 (Daily driver/backup car)
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Festus E. Simkins
06-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Home Depot should have a sale on compressors now. 5 1/2 horsepower with 25 gal vertical tank. Plus you get hose, air impact, air rachet, air chisel, etc. for free. I think cost was $299. The compressor is a HUSKY. Don't know much about them but the price with all the accessories sounds like a good deal.

If I hadn't bought my 3 years ago for Sears I would give it a serious thought.

Drive well.

Krusty
06-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Once you put a compressor in the garage, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. If you decide to go that route, your best bet is to get one with a cast iron pump. The cordless units are nice... and they're great at the track, especially if you drive you car to the track on street tires and mount the race tires upon arrival. (I'm not the only one who does that... am I?) Anyway... they're both great, but I'd get the compressor first.