PDA

View Full Version : brake pad break-in

frazer
06-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Just got a set of Hawk track pads. I'm not running a brake bias at the moment, so I'm running Blues up front and Blacks in the rear. Track event is Friday, assuming I get the car ready in time. Anything special I should do to the pads concerning break-in procedures?

Thanks,

Mike
'90 GXL

Allen Brown
06-16-2003, 02:43 PM
If I don't have time to break the shoes in, I will take a propane torch and heat up (simulate first pad heat build-up period) the pads before installation. Once they cool, they are almost all the way there...all that is left is the bedding of the pads to the rotors.

I haven't found too many people that do this, but I can go out on the new pads, run a warm-up session, experience no fade, and by the end of the session, the pads are bedded. It works for me.

paulydee
06-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Wow,

That has to be the most unusual way I have heard to break in brake pads. Sounds interesting, but I might stick with the old fashion method. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

pgipson
06-16-2003, 11:23 PM
I know the blues include instructions to run the pads to fade as they are bedded in. I usually try to do that, but I know other people that don't bother. And it doesn't seem to make much difference in either pad life or initial stopping power.

emerilnut
06-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Hey Mike,

As far as I know you just really want to get the pads hot to boil out the residual unnecessary pad material and bed them on the rotors. So, on our ITA Miata with blues up front and blacks on the the back this is all we did to do some break-in; for the first session, exaggerate your braking zones. Brake hard and slow down much slower than you normally would in order to get those pads as hot as possible. Be prepared to point everybody by as they're gonna wonder why you're getting so slow. That should do the trick. After that first session, they should be ready to go.

------------------
*** KimChi Racing ***
Stan Mitchem
Atlanta Region
#11 ITA Miata

Allen Brown
06-19-2003, 10:51 AM
I tried this different break in method one day when I was about to go out to a Solo 2 event with new pads. So before I installed them, I did the propane torch cook method at home, installed the pads. Not a problem!! And I really hate going slow for the initial break in period if there's a way I can avoid it. Sammy's "I Can't Drive 55" has been my theme song for years.....