PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen ITS / Ideal Wheel Offset and Tire Size

Bern
04-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Guys,
I was wondering what the ideal wheel offset and tire size is for a 2nd gen ITS car. I know the stock offset is close to 40mm and I have a line on some real nice 15x7 wheels with a 44mm offset, but I fear these maybe way off, even with spacers. I've seen the 38mm size mentioned, but I was wondering what experience has shown.

TIA,
-Bern

paulydee
04-17-2003, 01:29 AM
I will say for sure that 15x7 with a 225(45 or 50)tire will need a rim with a 27MM offset. I know this because I managed to get a set of Kosei K1's in that exact size but it seems to be a limited production run as they are no longer availible. The availible offset I believe is 35MM which requires a spacer (unsure of the thickness).

44MM I think would be totally incorrect fitment. The stock wheels do have a larger offset but the rim width is only 6".

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

Bern
04-17-2003, 06:42 PM
The stock '89 GTUs wheel size and offset is
listed as:

16x7 / 40mm offset.

This is why I thought I might be able to use something close to a 40mm offset. A 225 section width tire on 15" wheel, might be to much with this offset though. I'll try searching for something closer to 30mm.

Thanks for the information

-Bern

Silkworm
04-17-2003, 07:37 PM
I run 38mm offset Kosei K1s, and with 225 Toyos, I have to run a 7/32" spacer. 28mm would have been the better choice but Tirerack only had 2 in stock.

PaulC

ITSRX7
04-18-2003, 11:07 PM
*Plug*

Call one of our sponsors, RIMPRO (www.rimpro.com). They got us 5 new sets this year in the right offset for IT racing - no spacers needed.

They are custom order. Ask for Tom - tell him you are SCCA and you found him through us.

888-274-6776 (888-2-RimPRO)

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Bern
05-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Andy,
I contacted RIMPRO (www.rimpro.com) about the getting some Kosei wheels and Dan was very helpful. The unfortunate situation is that they are on the expensive side. They quoted me $225. per wheel SILVER only. I want white wheels which they said they would paint for me, at an additional $100 each. $325. per wheel is little much.

The good news is Tire-Rack has 27mm 15x7 white wheels in stock and at $130 each, I think I have a winner.

Thanks again for you help.

-Bern

ITSRX7
05-13-2003, 12:31 AM
You are right on the price - a little much. Those offsets are tough to get.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Bern
05-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Andy,
Thanks again for the info. I really wanted to get the wheels from a company that supports racing. The price is just a little too high. We'll be able to get the tires, rims and heat-cycling for about $260 per corner. Not too bad and still a little lower than I could get just the wheels at RIMPRO. Please thank Dan for me. I did let them know that I appreciate the sponsorship they give you guys.

-Bern

xr4racer
05-13-2003, 01:49 AM
If you are on a budget, 94 and up Mustang wheels work great. 15x7 24mm offset, very good airflow and surprisingly very light. I have paid anywhere between $100 to $200 a set.

paulydee
05-13-2003, 02:30 AM
If it's those 3 spoke ones, I am not sure I could see my car with them. I have to draw the line on form vs. function somewhere.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

Bern
05-13-2003, 03:18 AM
I'm right there with you.. We might not be the fastest or best funded, but we'll look half way decent. I also draw the line! ;-)

A preview for you guys...

http://home.earthlink.net/~brhslm/temp/GTUs_racer.jpg

-Bern

paulydee
05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Interesting pic, is it a photoshop job?

Pauly D

Bern
05-13-2003, 03:50 PM
why Pauly, do you like it?

Actually it is a quick photo-shop job, done on our actual GTUs racer. I wanted to see what the car was going to look like prior.

I also have a better one with the Kosei wheels.

Working on the rear and front 3/4 view.

-Bern

Bern
06-10-2003, 07:44 PM
The Saga continues:

We recieved our beautiful white Kosei wheels from Tire-Rack, a week ago or so, and we were impressed. Not only were we impressed by the lightness and look of the wheels, but more importantly, by the "WRONG" offset. After at least two 15-20 minute phone calls with them, to verify size and OFFSET, they insisted we would get exactly the specified size, color, and offset. I was very skeptical, due to the information, that the WHITE wheels are no longer available in the 27mm size, but with assurance from TR that they did have them, we ordered.

The 38mm wheels we recieved, although very nice, are on there way back to TR. We have now secured assurances from TR, that they do have the SILVER wheels in the specified 27mm offset and they will be shipping them to us at a heavly discounted price, and apologized for our inconvenience. Although SILVER is not our preffered color, we just can't pass on the wheels at the discounted price.

Stay tuned... I'll let you all know, if and when, we recieve our new SILVER wheels.

Pics of the white kosei's

http://home.earthlink.net/~brhslm/temp/wheels.htm

Cheers,

-Bern

[This message has been edited by Bern (edited June 10, 2003).]

C. Ludwig
06-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Hmmmm...

I wonder if they'll take back all my white ones in exchange for deep discount silver ones? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

BTW, you should be very happy with your Koseis. I have been and I have abused them regularly.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited June 10, 2003).]

frazer
06-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Ok, can someone please help me!?!? I've been watching the post on wheels. I ordered my 15x7 38mm offset White Kosei wheels from TR earlier this season. Now there's all this talk about the 27mm offset wheels. What's the deal (in plain english)? I started seeing the posts and called TR. Figured I should get new ones if they fit better (mine are brand new, never mounted, still in the box). The rep at TR said I wanted the 38mm wheels. He said they would fit w/ a 225/50x15 Kumho tire w/ no problems. He also said that if I went w/ the 27mm I'd have to roll my fenders. Can anyone give me a straight answer? I'd like to get the right ones mounted.

Thanks,

Mike

C. Ludwig
06-12-2003, 11:09 PM
With the 38 you will be able to fit a 225 Kumho but most likely not a 225 Hoosier. The same size Hoosier is about 1/2" wider. Mine rubbed on the left front strut only. Ruined a brand new tire that way. Since I'd already bought one set of 38s I chose to go with 1/2" spacers and just kept buying 38s.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Silkworm
06-12-2003, 11:35 PM
I can say that a 225/50/15 Toyo rubs without spacers with 38mm offsets.

I have to run 5/32" spacers to prevent it.

27mm move the wheel outboard about 7/16", not enough to rub on the fender I think. Certainly with 5/32, I'm no where near rubbing.

Anyway, YMMV, that's just what I experienced on my car.

PaulC

C. Ludwig
06-13-2003, 07:15 AM
The Toyos are a bit wider than the Kumhos too but did not rub on my car. It was very close. They're not quite as wide as Hoosiers.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv