PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 89 rx-7

Doug Ford
06-01-2003, 10:42 AM
First it started out as almost like it would hit the rev limiter at 5k rpm. It would not rev past the 5k -5500k area. After changing the computer, crank angle sensor, mass air flow meter, injectors, throttle position sensor and plugs and after checking the plug wires we finally changed the leading coil and it improved to 7k but still would acts like it was hitting a rev limiter at 7k. Does anyone have any ideas?

------------------
1989 Mazda rx-7 red
1986 951 silver/black
2001 supercrew white
Regional Executive Midsouth Region #66

HBennett
06-02-2003, 09:16 AM
There is a rev limiter around 7,000 RPM on second gen car. My '88 used to hit around that point.

paulydee
06-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Well the `86-`88 cars would redline at 7K RPM, but the `89-`91 cars redline at 8K RPM. Are you sure you installed the correct ECU? The ECU should have a label with N350 on it not N326. Other than that, what is the condition of the exhaust? If you still have catalytic converters, you may have a clog. Give us some more details about the car's setup.

------------------
Paul D'Angelo
73 ITS CENDIV
Indy Region
www.iridiumracing.com

rx7chris
06-02-2003, 04:28 PM
1ST do you have good compression on all sides front and rear?

2nd, check the wiring harness to the secondary injectors, they tend to get brittle over time.

3rd, what rev limiter? don't remeber my 86 havin one?

------------------
Chris
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

C. Ludwig
06-02-2003, 05:28 PM
The S4 and S5 ECUs will not interchange as the plugs are different. So that's not the problem.

Concensus seems to be that some cars hit a rev limiter, some don't. My S5 setup will rev to the moon with no ECU mods.

Have you checked the MOP? If you have a factory service manual go through ALL the diagnostics on the MOP. I've been fighting a limp mode problem triggered by the MOP. Email me if you'd like more info.

[email protected]

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited June 02, 2003).]

jcmotorsports
06-02-2003, 07:00 PM
doug
i had a similar problem under full throttle at about 7500. the fuel pump functions under a dual voltage setup. under idle it is @8v under full throttle it under 12v which was dumping too much fuel(spark plugs were very black and wet)by clipping a few wires the system stays @ 8v and the car revved to 9000 and more. Nick Leverone helped me out at pocono a few weeks ago. i limited mechanical knowledge so i can't exactly tell you which ones to cut but maybe nick can help you out.

john costello
ITS rx7 #81
[email protected]