PDA

View Full Version : Serious Meats under Metal

05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Here we go guys, as I speak 225-50-13 hoosiers are being shoe-horned under my 1st gen, will I have to buy new rear rims to keep the tread ahhhh, contact patch under the wheel flares?. post the outcome shortly.
ohhh ohhh ohhh

Nick Leverone
05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
What's the big deal I know ITC Honda's that have tires that big on them.

------------------
Nick Leverone
04 ITS Mazda Rx-7
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Allen Brown
05-08-2003, 12:08 PM
I have 225-50-15 RA-1's on my GSL-SE. Tight on clearances on the front (about 1/8" clearance inside and outside of tire), rear fits well.

------------------
Allen Brown
#36 IT-1
GT-3 in 2004
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Allen Brown (edited May 08, 2003).]

05-08-2003, 10:42 PM
hoosier 225's are 8.6" wide on the contact patch, and yes nick we know hondas have easy coverage for wider tires as well as your 2nd gen but getting big tires under a 1st gen is a chore while staying legal i.e. inside of the flare.

Tak
05-09-2003, 09:29 PM
I currently run 225/50-13 hoosiers on an 84 in ITA. You will need to roll the inner fender lip (allowed). I've found the best/least damaging method is to gently roll the car back and forth with a wooden baseball bat between the tire and fender. Additional clearance can also be had by moving the fender as far outboard as the mounting holes will allow. As long as you don't cut metal or modify holes, it is also legal. Also, check for the tire rubbing on the spring, or lower spring perches. Double check this clearance (remove the front tires and look for rub marks on tire and spring perch) after your first on track session. Bring wheel spacers just in case (better to stick the wheels out than to cut a tire...). Large bearing strut housings have slightly more clearance here than small bearing units (1/2 degree greater angle between spindle and strut tube).

Tachi
#29 ITA SFR SCCA

05-09-2003, 10:16 PM
thanks Tachi, thats what I was hoping to hear from my post, once they are mounted I own them.

------------------
Daryl Brightwell
ITA RX7 #11
SFR, NORPAC
ITA RX7 #77
CSCC, SOPAC
E/P BOTH SOON

rlekun
05-14-2003, 11:30 AM
So Darryl, Did they fit? I still have mine sitting in the boxes while I get the turn-in spacers installed....

05-14-2003, 11:49 PM
heres what it looks like...

http://members.aol.com/fastnblue/ita

AWESOME, makes it look like a trans am car from days gone by. had to roll the rear flare lips cause on a real hard bounce like a birm they WILL rub just on the edge of the tire, but they are 3/4" thick right there so it wont hurt them a bit, on the fronts they have more clearance from my tierod ends and strut adjusters then my toyos 205's had cause of flat sidewalls. cant wait till friday practice at BWRP for this weekends double regional to try them out, yee haw.

------------------
Daryl Brightwell
ITA RX7 #11
SFR, NORPAC
ITA RX7 #77
CSCC, SOPAC
E/P BOTH SOON

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited May 15, 2003).]

ddewhurst
05-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Larry, I have a couple questions about turn in spacers. Someplace someone talked about installing the turn in spacers & talked about breaking 1/2 inch drills. Are these the original arm holes that get redrilled where the drill breaks?
Within the turn in spacer what is the radial angle difference from the original arm mounting holes to the new arm mounting holes ?

Daryl, have a great weekend.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

rlekun
05-15-2003, 05:51 PM
David, That was probably me groaning about the drilling. I didn't break any drill bits, but i burned up a drill and dulled two $20 bits. I took everything to a local auto machine shop and had them do it.

You have to drill out to 1/2" the threaded holes on the little "ears" at the bottom of the strut assembly (where the OE bolts screw up into) and you have to flatten the top surface because you're now going to put a bolt in from the top that screws into the turn in spacer.
Plus you have to drill out the same corresponding holes on each side of the arm (the ball joint arm hole is in the middle and stays un modified).
I'm not sure what the radial angle difference is. I'll see if its on the instruction sheet tonight or I throw a protractor on the diagram. I think I have your email, I can probably send you the illustration (I don't think Mr Susko would sue for copy right infringement if I just send the illustration!)
Hope I'm describing this clearly...

Quickshoe
05-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Looks good Daryl!

You are such a trouble maker...

Someone is obviously going to protest you for an illegal cam!

Have fun at BWRP. I'll be there on the June 7-8th weekend. (co-driving a second gen rx7 in a Enduro)

--Daryl

ddewhurst
05-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Larry, good description & look forward to receiving the radial angle if you know or have it.

Thanks http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

rlekun
05-22-2003, 04:41 PM
David,

I scanned in the illustration, but I guess I don't have your email address after all. Send to [email protected]

I can't find anything like a protractor around the house to measure the angle, but you can get it from the illustration.