PDA

View Full Version : BCarter - a little help here?

Boswoj
05-01-2003, 09:29 PM
I remember you saying that your series runs stock carbs, with street ported motors. How aggressive is your street port, and where do you start on the jets? Do you retain chokes on the carbs (probably not) and if not, how do you get the cold blooded bastards started?

Thanks - Boswoj

bcarter
05-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Hey,

Well, the agressiveness of the streetports depends on who does them. We have never actually torn an engine apart for a tech inspection. Most of the motors are built by one or two people up here, and they use pretty standard templates. It is my belief that you can only go so far anyway.

We are not allowed to play with the jets at all, so we use what the carbs originally came with. These rules are a little goofy from my point of view, as we could really get some power with jets, etc. As it is, I think we are producing less HP than a really well tuned ITS.

We don't have to retain the choke, and funny enough, my car starts like a dream when it's cold. Sometimes it's a bit hard to start if it's been running real hard, like if I do a little agricultural work, and stall it.

Our class was designed to keep costs down, so asside from the streetport, which we can get for about $2500 CDN, with a core, we don't do anything to the engine. The front is coil overs, usually with around 350 lb springs, and the rear is usually around 175 lbs but no changes to the configuration, except we can eliminate the rear sway bar.

Minimum weight 2350 with driver and some gas

We start racing in 3 weeks....zoom zoom

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
Wheat Buckley Racing
# 10 Challenge Car
2002 Class Champion
Calgary, Alberta

[This message has been edited by bcarter (edited May 02, 2003).]

Boswoj
05-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Turns out the cold bloodedness had nothing to do with the porting configuration! After cranking it for a calender month I noticed the tell-tale hissing from the dipstick tube! Wow - they don't run for crap when the side seals go!

Thanks anyway! - Boswoj

bcarter
05-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Yup, that'll mess up your day and make it a little tough to start.

Speaking of cold, I left the country for a small holiday, and came back yesterday to SNOW !!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

I hope it goes away soon, we start racing pretty quick, and I don't need to test my REALLY @#$^%$# COLD starting ability.

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
Wheat Buckley Racing
# 10 Challenge Car
2002 Class Champion
Calgary, Alberta