PDA

View Full Version : Arcing Coils - HELP

Paul
05-06-2003, 07:34 AM
I've got a 1st gen with dual MSD boxes and coils. On both coils, there is arcing between the smaller positive and negative posts and the center post. We have checked grounds, impedience on the plug wires, new plugs, etc... We can't figure out what the solution is. Has anyone had this problem before?
Paul

tdw6974
05-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Paul, We have the same set up using Bosch coils. If the engine stalled the arc would occur every time. We replaced the Bosch coils with the MSD Vibration resistant coils and the problem seems to have gone away. Also we seem to not stall as much. Wonder if the coils have leakage over time. Maybe some one will come up with an answer for us. T Weaver ( Truck Driver for ITA 63)

ddewhurst
05-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Paul, a couple years I had a MSD Blaster coil (everything else OEM) fail. On the track it would run up to a certain RPM & the engine shut down. Hard to restart with the same results. Found a hole burned between one of the small posts & the coil wire center post. MSD replaced the coil at no charge.

David

Paul
05-06-2003, 09:25 AM
We haven't had a stalling problem and the coils are both MSD. The car runs ok but if one shades the coils and looks closely, they look like tiny examples of a mad scientist's lab. The arcs start on the small posts and "walk" up the center post. It's worse on the trailing coil than the leading.
Paul

ddewhurst
05-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Paul, try Autotronic Controls Corp El Paso, Texas (MSD) 1-800-857-5200 a guy by the name of Rick or explain & ask for HELP. They were very helpful & easy to talk to. They have interest in their products way beyond the person who sold the stuff. My deal was July of 201.

David http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif