PDA

View Full Version : 83 rx7 distributor anyone?

benracin
04-30-2003, 06:04 PM
On our last day out we developed a miss. We think it's being caused by the leading ignitor. You'll have to excuse me if I have the part name wrong. I notice that napa online has the part listed as an "Ignition pick-up assy". We're not a 100% sure this is the real part causing the prob, but we know it stems from there. Anyways, that tiny part is $114! A whole new distributor is $250. Seem like a pretty expensive part. So before I hit the yards looking for a cheaper alternative, I thought I would ask around here. Anyone have a spare they want to part with? Thanks.

Ben Harding
#33 ita rx7

Pat
04-30-2003, 08:14 PM
The Haynes manual has a diagram showing how to make a device to test ignitors. A few years ago I bought a used distributor from Sun Auto in PA, complete with working ignitors and I think it was $50-$75. Their website used to be www.sunautorx7.com (http://www.sunautorx7.com) and their phone was (717)259-0174/(800)591-9570.

Scott Nutter
04-30-2003, 11:19 PM
You can also try www.car-parts.com (http://www.car-parts.com) a nationwide search of salvage yards.

tdw6974
04-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Sun Auto no longer has RX-7s for parts. About August 1st last year he sold everything to a group from Pueto Rico. Came in loaded everything up and closed the web site down.

planet6racing
04-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Ben:

How much room do you have? I'll ask one of the guys that I know that has 2 sitting around. I'm sure he'd be interested in getting rid of both if you'd be interested in picking them up (there in New Orleans)...

------------------

Bill
92 Saturn SL2 (SCCA ITA)
93 Saturn SL2 (Daily driver/backup car)
Planet 6 Racing
[email protected]

benracin
05-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Hey Bill, I'm afriad the ole 2 car garage is pretty full right now. And that's only with 1 car in it! I love how race cars tend to throw their parts all over the place. Don't suppose he would be willing to part with just part of the car? I have 3 spare engines and not a one has a distributor which was fun suprise when I got home. New Orleans is a bit of a haul too. Unless that's New Orleans Minnesota you're talking about.

Quickshoe
05-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Ben,

Send me your address and I'll mail you one. It's the last mazda part in my garage (other than an autographed banged up RF front fender hanging on the wall, but that's a story for another thread.)

I came across it the other day in my electrical parts box...almost tossed it. Thinking, why in the heck do I still have this??

--Daryl DeArman

[email protected]

rx7chris
05-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Ben, have you tested the ignitor yet? Turn the car on, and unplug one. if it still runs its good, if it dies it more than likely is bad. Not the one you unplugged but the other one. example: with car running disconnect the trailing ignitor if the car is still running the leading ignitor is good, if it dies it's more than likely it's bad. repeat the process to test the trailing. if you get in a pinch, i know i've got at lest one i could let go.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

planet6racing
05-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Ben:

E-mail me at the address below.

------------------

Bill
92 Saturn SL2 (SCCA ITA)
93 Saturn SL2 (Daily driver/backup car)
Planet 6 Racing
[email protected]

noresull
05-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by rx7chris:
Ben, have you tested the ignitor yet? Turn the car on, and unplug one. if it still runs its good, if it dies it more than likely is bad. Not the one you unplugged but the other one. example: with car running disconnect the trailing ignitor if the car is still running the leading ignitor is good, if it dies it's more than likely it's bad. repeat the process to test the trailing. if you get in a pinch, i know i've got at lest one i could let go.

Yeah, We've done that and have narrowed it down to the Leading side, however I feel it is the leading stator that is bad because it has continuity through both leads, whereas the trailing side does not.

Quickshoe
05-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Ben,

I am leaving town in the AM. To crew/service at Rim Of The World Rally!

I'll check my mail upon my return. If you want it, it's yours. If not, goes out with the trash on Monday.

Even if yours is good, you'll have a spare just in case.

If Ben passes, any other takers?

ddewhurst
05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Daryl, if Ben passes I'll take the ignitor. & let me know the shipping cost within when you send it.

Thanks
Spec-7 # 14

David Dewhurst
2551 North 67th Street
Wauwatosa, WI 53213