PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen roll cages......

jensenman
04-18-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm putting together a '79 RX7, and I'm at the point where it's time to build a cage. SCCA rules allow a bolt in or weld in cage, and I'm planning to do it myself. I was looking at both the Autopower and Kirk Racing kits, and I have a question: being 6'1", I need the most rearward seat travel. I understand the Autopower 'bolt in' cages come out right where the two storage boxes are, if so it won't allow enough seat travel.
Anyone have first hand experience with this?

Scott Nutter
04-18-2003, 06:12 PM
I am 6' (32" inseam) and have an Autopower bolt in cage. I have my seat bolted to the floor and the seat back brace is about 8 inches long so the seat could be moved back another 8 Inches. You should be fine. If you would like I could probably send you a picture of my cage/seat. Drop me an email at [email protected]

Quickshoe
04-18-2003, 09:39 PM
I had two rx-7's with Autopower bolt in cages that I welded in.

I am also 6'1" with a 32" inseam. No issue with seat location front/rear.

The issue is head room! Both up top and along the left side.

My advice on an Autopower bolt in cage. The bends do a real good job of following the contour of the car (by pre-fab standards). When installing it spread everything as far out in every direction that you can. Get the braces to touch the A-pillars and the roof line if possible. Also, increase the footpads to the largest legal size possible. When forming the footpads attach them in multiple planes. 2 vertical and 1 horizontal when possible.

rx7chris
04-21-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm 6'3" and i've got an Autopower cage in my car. Cons with the cage, head hits bar above door. Think I just fixed that though by removing the stock seat track stubs in the floor, going to bolt the seat directly to the floor. Picked up a couple inches. As far as the brace, you end up with a lot of room. On the Kirk Cage, I couldn't tell ya, don't think i've ever seen one.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

rlekun
04-24-2003, 09:37 AM
For what its worth, I have the Kirk cage although its about 10 years old now so I don't know if he changed the design. I'm 6' and there is about a foot between the seat back (UltraSheild) and the brace. Kirk curves the brace backward for more clearance.
The original door bars that came with the kit had to be welded in while the rest was bolt in. I've since added nascar bars and a weld in side-to-side cross bar in the dash area. I'm no expert, but it seems to be a good cage. I like the way the front and rear part of the halo have a bit of an upward curve for more strength (and unfortunately I have had the car on its roof once).