PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen rear brakes

Hammer
04-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Can anyone give a novice a quick run down on how to change the rear brake pads on a 1st gen RX7 with a working emergency brake. I am going to put on Hawke black pads. Thanks in advance.

Hammer
04-19-2003, 08:07 PM
I was able to change the rear brakes today with no problems. Later today, a friend asked if when I turned the rear caliper inward, if I turned it to the same position as when I started. I did not know to do this and did not know if there is a set position the caliper notches should be turned too. Should they be side by side, or up and down or diagonal. What happens if they are not in the same position.

Quickshoe
04-19-2003, 09:49 PM
The reliefs in the caliper piston recieve a little nub that protrudes out of the back of the brake pad.

You will only be able to slide the caliper back over a new set of pads with the piston fully retracted and in their correct position.

In other words, if the pads are new, and you didn't file off the little tab thingy on the back of the pads (you know the one that was preventing you from sliding the caliper back into position) everything is fine.

If you ever remove the caliper w/o replacing the pads make certain that the little tab thing will fall into the reliefs in the piston. It would be possible with thin pads and a fully retracted piston do get this wrong.

By the way, if you are fairly new at this, don't come in after a session and set the e-brake.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited April 19, 2003).]

Hammer
04-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the help Quickshoe. I got everything lined up now.