PDA

View Full Version : Coil Overs on an ITA 7?

benracin
03-07-2003, 04:08 PM
The ITA rx7 I purchased last year has coil over fronts on it and the rule book seems to say this is a no no. If that's the case, when were these things legal (just curious)and what would make a decent replacement?

Thanks.

rx7chris
03-07-2003, 06:02 PM
they're legal, don't have GCR handy but i positive they're legal. Everybody runs them. All you do is modify the spring perch, if it was the rear, then that would be a biggg no no.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

lateapex911
03-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Check out the actual construction and read the rules very carefully.

In a nutshell, real coilovers are verboten.

If thats what is on your car, so sorry.

But I doubt it. Look closely at your struts, and I bet you'll find a threaded sleeve that rests on a welded collar. Which is legel!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

benracin
03-08-2003, 03:04 PM
And that's what I have! So I guess I'm cool then. But if that's not a "real" coil over, what is it?

Thanks.

lateapex911
03-08-2003, 03:27 PM
"Real" coilovers use a threaded body as opposed to a threaded sleeve that slides over the body.

It's the result of a rule that is worded in an interesting way.

It was written before my time, so I can't say, but maybe it was an effort to create an inexpensive way of acheiving the same results, or maybe it was just an unforseen development!

Speaking of unexpected developments, check out the rule that allows "traction" devices on live rear axle cars (yours), start thinking creatively, then go to the G-force engineering web site. Jim Susko advertises his "Tri link" product in the back pages of Sportscar.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]