PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Radiator

benracin
03-05-2003, 12:22 AM
I have an 83 ITA rx7 that I bought last year and it has recently sprung a leak in the radiator. Looking at the shop manuals an 83 seems to have only the radiator in the front. On my car I have a radiator, then underneath it an oil cooler the same width. Has my car recieved a transplant from an 81-82?

Can anyone recommend a more race oriented (maybe aluminum) replacement?

And... ( sorry to cram 3 questions here) does anyone run a cooling fan?

Thanks for the help!

moto62
03-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by benracin:
I have an 83 ITA rx7 that I bought last year and it has recently sprung a leak in the radiator. Looking at the shop manuals an 83 seems to have only the radiator in the front. On my car I have a radiator, then underneath it an oil cooler the same width. Has my car recieved a transplant from an 81-82?

>>> Yes to the transplant. If you decide to replace the rad w/ a stock one, get one for an '82RX.

does anyone run a cooling fan?

>>>Not necessary, but don't leave the car idleing for long periods. Watch the temp guage. The car will run pretty cool once you're moving.

As far as the aftermarket rads are concerned, I've never used one but those that do will probably chime in here soon and let you know where you can get one.

------------------
Ray Lee Chee
[email protected]
Stamford,Ct

Festus E. Simkins
03-05-2003, 02:34 PM
I would recommend that you get an early model RX-7 rad for a car with an automatic trasmission. The auto rad has 3 rows 5 speed rad has 2 rows.

The early RX-7s had the oil cooler under the rad. It is shorter than later models.

I have used the auto rad (cost about $120 with a life time warranty) for two years now and never had an overheating problem even when the air temp is 100+.

Drive well.

Silkworm
03-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Dunno if you only care about 1st gens, but I don't run a fan on my 2nd gen.

PaulC

benracin
03-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, and Festus, do you have a hint where a guy could pick up one of those? My recent searches on the web produced some limited results.

rlekun
03-06-2003, 01:44 PM
FYI...removing the stock fan generated a 2 hp difference on the dyno. The safe bet would be to add an electric fan you can switch on and off as needed (before and after race, yellow flag conditions, etc.)

I put in the $400 Mazda Comp aluminum radiator last year. Although honestly I don't believe the old stock radiator was the source of my heating problems. I ran the stock '82 over/under set-up for years with no problems. Even ran a 1 hour enduro one time in 97 degree temperature. I overcooked but the radiator stayed cool.

moto62
03-07-2003, 01:39 AM
benracing,
The stock rad can be bought at most autoparts stores, AutoZone, Napa,etc. They probably won't have it in stock but the can get it for you within a day or two.

Festus E. Simkins
03-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Benracin,

I got my rad from Auto Radiator Outlet. 1-800-252-0333. I spoke to michael at Ext 293. The RX-7 rad was a #701.

This was two years ago.

Drive well

benracin
03-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I did some die hard shopping online and got a 3 row one from a place called radiatorbarn.com. $120, free shipping and a free t-shirt! It was the shirt that sealed the deal.

Thanks.