PDA

View Full Version : Retard question: which direction on Koni's?

Silkworm
02-17-2003, 09:14 PM
I lost the sheet that came with these struts/shocks and haven't looked at the settings since earlier last year, and for the life of me I can't remember if CW is stiffer or CCW.

PaulC
88 PS1/ITS RX-7

ITSRX7
02-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Shouldn't the white adjuster knob have the directions on it?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

JeffYoung
02-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Silkworm, I'm pretty sure clockwise is stiffer.

Andy, the Konis I have (orange) don't have an adjustment knob (I assume Worm has the same). You can only adjust off car by compressing until you feel the internal adjustment mechanism "click", and then turning. I THINK it is CW.

jericker
02-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Guys, try emailing Lee Grimes at Koni at lgrimes @koni-na.com and you'll get the answer right from the horses mouth. He's a great guy and will answer anything that you need including how stiff or soft to set your struts for what kind of tracks you'll be at and what kinds of conditions.

Silkworm
02-18-2003, 02:12 AM
Well, if I still had the knob, you'd be 100% correct http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

That is buried somewhere in a box somewhere in my garage, I just moved :

hehe, ok, I'll check with Koni, thx for the link.

PaulC

erlrich
02-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Paul - it depends on which damper you have. Koni has the adjustment procedure for each model on their website: www.koni-na.com/adjustment.html (http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.html)

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

Silkworm
02-18-2003, 04:10 AM
The Internet saves the day! Thanks Earl and everyone!

PaulC

Quickshoe
02-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Related note:

I was wrenching for someone with Koni's that I (and they) weren't familiar with. Of course the adjustment knobs were missing.

Lucky enough, these particular konis went from super soft to hard as a rock. I rotated them all the way one way, then applied the high-tech, super accurate, get a fat dude to bounce on the quarter panel shock dyno method.

You could also use the fact that you don't know which way is which as a learning opportunity. Turn one all the way CW and the other all the way CCW and drive it. Now you'll know the difference in feel. If you can't tell the difference in handling turning right and left these settings are probably something you don't need to be messing with yet.