PDA

View Full Version : Is a 94 MX-6 ITS Legal?

SMSP
02-05-2003, 02:38 AM
I was told only the 93 was classed, is this true?

lateapex911
02-05-2003, 03:15 AM
Very Interesting!

The 2003 GCR list two lines, identical in every way to each other (unless I missed something!) except for the initial line! First, the MX-6 is listed with no reference to model year, and the second listing has (1993) at the end of the heading. Weird!

Now, If you really think the MX-6 is the hot ticket, I have a '93 in my drive that I'd be happy to talk about!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

SMSP
02-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Yes, weird indeed.

I just got a 94 last weekend. I know it is somewhat nose heavy due to the V6 but the brakes are comparable to a GSR and the weight is the same. I've done a lot of development work with headers for the GSR and ITR and ventue to say that not much has been done with the 2.5 V6.

The body may even be a little better in the aero department than the GSR. Just something to think about. For now the car is my shop vehicle.

lateapex911
02-09-2003, 01:16 AM
You sit at the crossroads of a very important decision- Pour your heart soul and wallet into an unknown hopeful, or go the familiar path by choosing a known contender.

At this point in S, as I'm sure you know, the top dog is the E36. We all decided here that the power to the ground was in the vicinity of 215. Which is a lot for the class, and a lot for a front heavy front wheel drive car. (If you could get the power of that engine to that level) Add to that the 944S, and the '73 911E, all recently classified.

I drove my 93 MX-6 for a bit and wondered if it could turn ITA times. Then I looked it up and it was in S!!! That was the end of that for me!!!

Do you think you can run with 944Ss and 911s and E36s? Obviously, I'm a tad skeptical.....but if running at the front isn't a first priority, then the development would be a significant (and possibly enjoyable) pursuit.

These conversations always wind up boiling down to a decision to build or buy. And the result is always buy if you want to save money and know what you're getting. Build if you are sure you have the hot secret, love the build process, and have the time and money.

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 09, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 09, 2003).]

vr6guy
02-09-2003, 05:32 PM
You cant count out the mx-6 or even its cousin the probe gt. Both have good power and yes they are nose heavy. On all of these posts there is always discussion of car classification. Being a lifetime member of SCCA, I have seen classes such as IT actually become more like production classes as far as rules are concerned. This becoming very frustrating for someone who wants to be competitive as well not have to rob a bank to compete. Case in point I've seen some GT cars cheaper than some IT cars,( before you jump the gun Jim Corbetts GT-4 200sx is up for sale at $25k......it holds track records and was picked to win the runoffs this year). Ass a reminder that is a national car, which in IT you can only do regional. I can also see that technology has played a huge part in how much racing costs these days. My father raced in the mid 80's with a datsun 510 and raced at national level. Not to mention on an extremely low budget, frustrating some drivers because he used to beat them with his driving abilities. Which leaves me reading the gcr over and over again to determin what class I would like to be in and what vehicle to run. I think I drifted away from the original topic, so I'll leave saying It was merely created to give ex-ss cars a chance to compete with slitely more mods. Given no guarantee that your car would be competitive, but again a chance to race. I wish everyone good luck this season with racing and or builing a car.

Marc R
NER member

mazdagt3
02-09-2003, 07:31 PM
i'd stay away from the mx6. granted it would be different, it simply does not have the chassis or the power (legally built).

a red probe gt runs out at nelson in ITS and does well. the car is not a complete dog there but got destroyed last time i went against it at the glen (on the way to another lap record).

one thing though. it has to be the best sounding motor among the group including the datsun and bmw 6 cyl.

keep it as your daily driver.

lateapex911
02-09-2003, 08:45 PM
I apologize as this is a bit off topic, but my '93 MX-6 LS is in need of help. I was borrowing the car, when the oil loght came on on the highway. You know the rest of the story. I started trying to get to the bottom of it, and man, what a pia it is working on that thing!

Anyway, can anybody give me any hints as to sources of cheap engines and more importantly, crossover years and models? (Does the Ford Probe v6 motor bolt right in???) Thanks in advance.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITSRX7
02-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Jake,

The Probe GT V6 (93+) is the Mazda unit. Watch for wiring harness issues but other than that...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

SMSP
02-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Jake,

Or you can get the JDM engine which is rated at 200 hp

RJ
02-10-2003, 02:38 AM
The KLZE is not a SCCA legal swap.

Originally posted by SMSP:
Jake,

Or you can get the JDM engine which is rated at 200 hp

SMSP
02-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Oh, I know, but it sounded like it was a street car.

Karl Bocchieri
02-10-2003, 08:07 PM
I had a 93 Probe GT as a street car and used it for open track days and autocrossing. It handels very well but the brakes are marginal on the track, and there is almost no aftermarket support for these cars. My 2nd gen RX-7 is much faster, it realy was a great street car though, better than my SVT Contour.

lateapex911
02-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys...it is a street car...a borrowed car that blew when I was driving it...(And I was being a good boy just tooling down the highway!) and I did the right thing...I bought it from the owner. What an idiot I am! I want no part of this FWD undershocked softee plow box, but I'm stuck now, so I want to stick the cheapest lunk I can in it and get out before the trans goes!

(So, the ford block would slide in under the existing intake and exhaust, etc.? Could be an oppportunity to find a cheaper long block)

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]