PDA

View Full Version : 86-88 Clutch pack rear end help

jrx13
02-04-2003, 12:22 AM
Hello all. I am going to attempt a rebuild on a clutch type rear diff (can't afford a Torsen!). As I just tore one apart, I am in the process of assembling the clutch pack. Any suggestions with clearances (such as using all oversize friction discs), or should I just follow the factory specs?
Any help would be most appreciated. Gotta get this part done so I can order some 4.8 gears from Mazdamotorsports!!

Thanks,
Jack

rx7chris
02-04-2003, 03:36 PM
from what i understand, if you got to all oversized discs you're basically making a welded diff. it wont slip at all. only buy every other disc in oversized, you should be happy with it then, locks up faster than stock but not as bad as all oversized. and good luck with lengthaning(sp?) the snout on the pinion gear.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

Allen Brown
02-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I have a GSL-SE, where I have installed ALL oversized clutch discs. (I didn't know any different...) For the first season, it behaved almost welded like, 2nd season, still pretty tight, but started to loosen up some. 3rd season, getting good. Going into my 4th season, I'm thinking pretty close to where I want it...maybe a bit tight still.

It's still tight enough that if the car is left in neutral, and if one side of the car is off the ground, I can torque the lug nuts of that wheel w/o it rotating....I guess it's still pretty tight.

Thought I'd share...Every second clutch to be oversized is probably just the ticket.

jrx13
02-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going to order two regular discs & two oversize. I'll have to do more measurments before I know which thrust washers to use. I also have to send out the pinion shaft for modification....
I am sure I'll have more questions as this progresses.....