PDA

View Full Version : ITA RX-7 questions...

Crack Monkey
01-14-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm converting my Spec RX-7 to ITA and have a few questions. The carb is currently a new stock rebuild, I plan to leave it that way for now with the exception of removing the emmissions stuff.

Questions:
1. Are you leaving any of the advance mechanisms in the dist? Or removing them all?

2. Is there any need to retain any of the rats nest/solenoids? I *think* it can all be removed legally and should only make a rough idle - but not 100% sure. Is the shutter valve in the intake manifold considered part of the emmissions system? Once the emmissions are removed, does the ECU (is that what they call it) do anything?

3. On my '82, there is a vent from the oil fill tube that runs into the side of the carb - is this just a crankcase vent? And if so, should I remove it and plug the hole in the carb (with epoxy, or ??)?

4. Can the hot-start assist be removed? And if so, is there any reason to do so (other than uncluttering the engine bay)?

Thanks.

Hotshoe
01-14-2003, 08:27 PM
1. I weld the shaft to negate the mechanical advance and do not hook up the vacume.
2. Toss the intake and get a 79 or 80 with the spacer. Two part epoxy all of the vacume ports in the spacer. (For neatness the little tubes will twist and pull out with vise grips).
3. hook that hose to your catch can ( required)
4. Yes...one less electrical thing to cary around. Plus your idle speed should be increased to 1100. That will eliminate the need for it.

GEO46
01-15-2003, 02:03 AM
Crack, take a trip over to www.maxspeed.com (http://www.mazspeed.com) On the front page, off to the left side is the "facts" icon. Nice write up on removing the "Rat's Nest".

[This message has been edited by GEO46 (edited January 15, 2003).]

GEO46
01-15-2003, 02:05 AM
Okay, the edit function doesn't seem to be working for me tonight. It should be www.mazspeed.com (http://www.mazspeed.com)

[This message has been edited by GEO46 (edited January 15, 2003).]

Scott Nutter
01-16-2003, 12:42 AM
GEO46, Dang! for a moment I thought there was another site to lurk on http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Crack Monkey
01-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

More "stoopid noob" questions...
1. Charcoal canister (evaporative emmissions bit). One line from the can leads to the oil fill tube (crankcase). The other leads to the fuel tank? What should be done with these? I assume cap the oil fill tube (since there is already another crankcase vent right next to it)? And the fuel tank line routes to the catch can or gets capped?

2. Altitude compensator. Does it have to stay? It looks like some carbs don't have it, are these more desirable?

3. What to do with the wiring leftover from rats nest... I think one or two connectors are still used, so just leave the rest dangling (bundled up where needed)? Or unwrap it and pull all the wiring no longer needed?

4. Coolant lines to intake manifold - just jam a freeze plug into each port on the block, or is there a better solution? And is this safe for cooler weather (40F)?

Tweak
01-22-2003, 04:17 AM
I don't think you'll want to cap the line coming from the gas tank. I did that once and ended up spewing fuel out the filler neck.

The coolant passages to the manifold were eliminated on the later 13B cars so I don't see a problem with plugging them, although I can't speak for the legality of it.