PDA

View Full Version : Carb setup for ITA

Norm Chute
12-08-2002, 01:35 AM
Any suggestions on where to find step by step instructions on how to set up a carb for ITA?

Need to know how to legally disconnect unnecessary linkage, and vacuum hose connections.

------------------
http://users.zoominternet.net/~nchute/thumbs/2K522_22Th.jpg
Norm Chute SRX7#36

ddewhurst
12-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Norm, you say carb for ITA but your signature is SRX7. Carb for ITA or SRX7 ?

------------------
Have Fun ;)

David Dewhurst

CenDiv Milwaukee Region

Spec-7 #14

RX767
12-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Norm,
If you decide not to hassel with the carb yourself, I sent my carb to Paul Yaw. For $300 he redid it,and it is ITA legal. If you reread various threads on this site, you will find that his carbs are highly recommended. He also does a PRO-7 carb for $290 that may work with Spec-7 rules. You will have to check. Realize that he is difficult to get in touch with. It took a consistent three week effort last Spring, and prior to giving up out of frustration, I even sent a "do you want my business" e-mail. When I did finally speak with him, it was worth the effort. He gave me alot of good advice and insights on redoing my fuel delivery system.
As far as unnecessary linkage, I am not sure what specifically you are referring to. I seem to have the essential. In terms of hoses, I have 6AN going in and 4AN on the return. All other hose openings are capped off.

Paul Yaw's website:
http://personal.riverusers.com/~yawpower/

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA #23

Scott Nutter
12-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Norm, are you going to give up the Srx7 campaign?

If you want, I could help you with what I did. Which is not much, bought one, made the next one, block off plate for the acv, removed the butterfly in the rear intake and simply removed and plugged all vaccum lines.

Drop me an email at either my posted email or [email protected].

[This message has been edited by Scott Nutter (edited December 10, 2002).]

joeg
12-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Norm--we'll miss you in the group if you switch to ITA.

Good Luck!

Norm Chute
12-14-2002, 01:49 AM
[quote]Originally posted by joeg:
[B]Norm--we'll miss you in the group if you switch to ITA.

With the effort trying to promote IT7 I'm considering moving the car more towards this direction.

------------------
http://users.zoominternet.net/~nchute/thumbs/2K522_22Th.jpg
Norm Chute SRX7#36

lateapex911
12-23-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by RX767:
Norm,
If you decide not to hassel with the carb yourself, I sent my carb to Paul Yaw. For $300 he redid it,and it is ITA legal. If you reread various threads on this site, you will find that his carbs are highly recommended. He also does a PRO-7 carb for $290 that may work with Spec-7 rules. You will have to check. Realize that he is difficult to get in touch with. It took a consistent three week effort last Spring, and prior to giving up out of frustration, I even sent a "do you want my business" e-mail. When I did finally speak with him, it was worth the effort. He gave me alot of good advice and insights on redoing my fuel delivery system.
As far as unnecessary linkage, I am not sure what specifically you are referring to. I seem to have the essential. In terms of hoses, I have 6AN going in and 4AN on the return. All other hose openings are capped off.

Paul Yaw's website:
http://personal.riverusers.com/~yawpower/

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA #23

Bill-

What are your thoughts on Paul. I can see he's a very bright guy, but I get the impression that the "charm" of carb modding may have worn off. Rumour mill has it that his "customer care" is lacking. It could be that he doesn't tolerate fools easily, or that he indeed sucks when it comes to taking care of customers. He is certainly a "botique" shop at best!

So, did you get the carb back with good information in a realistic time frame?

Did the carb run well? No stumbling in left handers? Good even power or peaky power?
Was it fussy (aka sensitive) to get right, but ran like a bear when you get it right?

Bottom line, would you recommend him at this point in time?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

GEO46
12-24-2002, 01:41 AM
As a Yaw carb owner/racer I would highly recommend his "PRODUCT". I recieved my carb from him in very nearly perfect tune. A couple of "minor" changes were all that was required. And this is all spelled out in his set-up sheet that gets sent with each carb.

No stumble on left turns, and the power is very linier(sc).

Unfortunately, trying to get ahold of him IS nigh on impossible these days. If you have the patience of Jobe, start trying to get ahold of him NOW, to get your carb in time for the 2003 season.

GEO46

lateapex911
12-24-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by GEO46:
As a Yaw carb owner/racer I would highly recommend his "PRODUCT". I recieved my carb from him in very nearly perfect tune. A couple of "minor" changes were all that was required. And this is all spelled out in his set-up sheet that gets sent with each carb.

No stumble on left turns, and the power is very linier(sc).

Unfortunately, trying to get ahold of him IS nigh on impossible these days. If you have the patience of Jobe, start trying to get ahold of him NOW, to get your carb in time for the 2003 season.

GEO46

OK, any suggestion on the best way to do that?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ddewhurst
12-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Jake, 3 years ago after I had started building my car I found out about Paul & his site. I typed a memo on what I had completed on the fuel system, what I presumed I should do after reading his site info & then asked questions. He may not respond timely but he does read his e-mail. I called a couple times a week, left a message once a week & maybe after two months I picked up the phone & there was Paul. Worth the effort.......you bet.

------------------
Have Fun ;)
David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
Spec-7 #14

bcarter
12-24-2002, 04:57 PM
I run in a completely different series in Canada, and we have to use stock carbs, no jetting, but we can remove emissions junk. I too have been through the "contact Paul" scenario, but he rebuilt my stock carb, and was very professional about his advice. It is difficult to get ahold of him, but he is a very nice guy, and is brilliant at what he does. I am not saying the carb was the reason, but we won our class this year.

Just keep trying.

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
# 10 Challenge Car
Calgary, Alberta

balz
12-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

Bill-

What are your thoughts on Paul. I can see he's a very bright guy, but I get the impression that the "charm" of carb modding may have worn off. Rumour mill has it that his "customer care" is lacking. It could be that he doesn't tolerate fools easily, or that he indeed sucks when it comes to taking care of customers. He is certainly a "botique" shop at best!

So, did you get the carb back with good information in a realistic time frame?

Did the carb run well? No stumbling in left handers? Good even power or peaky power?
Was it fussy (aka sensitive) to get right, but ran like a bear when you get it right?

Bottom line, would you recommend him at this point in time?

I would recommend Paul to anyone. Paul is NOT Paul Yaw, INC., and 200 - 400 person company pumping out carbs for thousands of people world wide. But then again, there isn't anyone that is pumping out race prep legal carbs by the thousands for our 20 year old car.

I met Paul at the run-offs in Mid-Ohio this past year, and he has a full time job, above and beyond the "build em 5 at a time" carb shop in his basement.

You get what you pay for. An honest to god working carb that will need almost no adjustments other then the standard barometric jetting. If there is an issue when you get it, call him and he'll make it right or talk you through some setups.

His website is there at no charge to walk you through most of what you need to know. If you can read, you can find what you need there.

If you catch him on the phone, you can ask him almost anything and he'll tell you what he knows at "no charge." Customer or not.

So, in answer to your question...I would highly recommend him.

He is never condescending, and he fills a very important void for all of us in the Mazda 1st Gen race community.

I would hate to think of racing without him, as I am sure many who deal with him would agree.

You get what you pay for. If you wanted to pony up the dollars for telephone support, I am sure he would work something out. But when your complaining about a free service, you get what you pay for.

I for one hope he never throws his hands in the air and walks away from us. He must truley love it to put up with all of the phone calls.

Frank Ball

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

ddewhurst
12-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Frank, this explaines a lot that I'm would think many people did not know. I thought he was full time into the carb/motor business.

*** Posted by Frank***

***I met Paul at the run-offs in Mid-Ohio this past year, and he has a full time job, above and beyond the "build em 5 at a time" carb shop in his basement.***

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

David

GEO46
12-26-2002, 04:04 PM
I have to agree with David. It was my understanding that doing carb/first gen research/development was his only business.

Oh well, perhaps things hve changed on his end in the last couple of years. Everyone knows the the economy aint what it used to be.

Still, I will vouch for his product. I'll say that his research and knowledge puts him ahead of SDJ, for instance. Unless of course someone supplied SDJ with one of Yaw's carb's. But of course, that would never happen, RIGHT?

As far as customer service, when you can get ahold of him, he is indeed a wealth of knowledge. Not just on the carb's/engine stuff either. However, if SDJ, and others are offering a simular product, at a comparable price, and offer better initial customer service???????????

balz
12-26-2002, 08:35 PM
I have to agree with GEO's comments. If you looking for a comparable carb with track-side customer support in the SE...you can't beat SDJ motorsports.

Stan travels to almost all of the track events in the SE and some of the National Events. This "is" his full time business and he is there 90% of the time that you call.

Frank

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

RX767
01-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Bill-
So, did you get the carb back with good information in a realistic time frame? Did the carb run well? No stumbling in left handers? Good even power or peaky power? Was it fussy (aka sensitive) to get right, but ran like a bear when you get it right? Bottom line, would you recommend him at this point in time?

Jake,
My apologies for not responding sooner. With the holidays and three pages of "comp. adjustment" discussions to catch-up with , I have not been back to this side of the site.
At this time, I would recommend Paul Yaw despite the difficulty I experienced in getting in touch with him.
The first I heard of Paul was through Dan Hall. You may have raced with him at WGI this past October. Dan recommended him to me and races with one of his carbs. Additionally, I read several posts on this site in favor of Paul's work, and Jim Susko (G-Force) recommends him as Paul also recommends Jim's suspension.
When I did finally speak with Paul, he impressed me as a down-to-Earth individual with genuine concern regrding my fuel system upgrades.
My Rx7 use to have stock tank, stock lines, and no fuel regulator with Holly electric pump. I would have hesitation problems and in my last trip to WGI, the car would not pull down the straights.
This Summer and Fall, I installed a 15 gallon Fuel Safe cell with the surge tank option -to- inline fuel filter -to- Carter fuel pump -to- Holley fuel regulator -to- Yawified carb. On the return, it goes to my SCCA mandated custom fuel test port (basically a 4AN capped "T") and back to the fuel cell. Paul patiently answered my questions about this set-up and made several helpful comments. He was also able to provide, the Carter pump, the fuel filter, regulator, and a very accurate guage to set the fuel pressure at reasonable prices.
The turn around was about a week to ten days. If you do send your carb, take special care in packing it so that it survives UPS. I bolted mine to a block of wood, bubble wrapped it, placed it in a "borrowed" milk crate, and then placed it in a larger cardboard box with packing material surrounding the milk crate. My carb came back with good information and I have had the car started. In the Spring, I will need to play with the idle and the timing.
I did not make it out this season so I cannot attest to its performance on the track. Along with remodeling our Victorian, I underestimated the amount of time it would take me to make the changes I had planned to do for 2002. Installing the back half of G-Force's suspension, and the fabrication/ weld-a-thon involved with installing the fuel cell took me through October. I will have an answer for you regarding performance this Spring. It would be great if I can tell you in person.

Bill Emery
ITA#23
Glen Region

Boswoj
01-10-2003, 03:27 AM
The "to Yaw or not to Yaw" thread seems to have a life of it's own judging by how many times it has appeared here. I am truly impressed with the quality of Paul's website and the amount of information he has made available on the web resulting from what I imagine must be a great deal of trial and error research. That being said, he impressed me enough that I wanted to order the whole kit for my 7: pump, regulator, gauge, and carb. After leaving him several phone messages over the course of three weeks, and sending numerous unanswered e-mails for several more I was forced to obtain all of those parts from other sources. I had a carb built, and located and purchased all the other parts, installed them and had run two races before he finally left a message on my answering machine that he had recieved my messages. Since I have been told that he accumulates several carbs before he builds a batch I would have to guess that with the shipping time included I would have not recieved a carb to use before the end of our 2002 racing season! Everyone assures me that he produces an extremely high quality product, and truth be told I would still prefer to be running one of his carbs, but that level of customer service is just not something that I can live with. Racing is a hobby that I love, and that costs me (same as everybody) quite a bit of money. His carb is very likely better than the one I had to have built, but it wasn't worth putting up with the left hand stumbles and crappy jetting of an entire racing season to get. Just my two cents worth.

Boswoj

RX767
01-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Norm,
Since your original questions were never really answered and the thread was hijacked to discuss the merits of Yaw carbs, you still may be searching for this information. The answers you may be looking for could be in the adjacent thread by "Crack Monkey" (ITA RX7 Question). The responses from "Hotshoe" and "Geo" should help in your transformation from Spec-7 to ITA.

Bill Emery
ITA#23
Glen Region