PDA

View Full Version : Weight removal factoid

paulydee
01-04-2003, 09:50 PM
I remebered some people were wondering how much weight do you save if you remove the inside floor isulation (tar paper). I have a `91 coupe and I just finished getting all the stuff out. I took all the removed chips and weighed them. The front half of the car (seat floor pan forward) weighs 16lbs. The back half (bins to back of hatch) weighed 5 lbs. That is a total of 2lbs, and I am not 100% sure that it was worth the effort. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif It was a tough job and took quite a while.

I guess I am just that much closer to getting to legal weight minimum (and I have a lot more to go).

Pauly D

ITSRX7
01-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Nick Leverone is in the middle of a full resto (bare frame sandblast and paint) of his NARRC/NERRC winning ITS RX-7. He just took all that crap out. We figure much closer to 40 pounds for a 2nd gen car. He took it ALL out - under the dash etc...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited January 04, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited January 04, 2003).]

frazer
01-05-2003, 12:04 AM
i'm gonna have to go w/ andy on this one. i removed ALL the tar and was just shy of 36# when we weighed it. yet i'm still heavy. no wonder i'm searching for an early base model.

pauly - thanks for the e-mail. i've got a new project.

mike

moto62
01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
paulydee- I,m on my 3rd 1st gen RX-7. Take the goo out. Avg 28#'s from each one. May not seem like a lot of weight but in racecar, thats a ton.

------------------
Ray Lee Chee
Rmoto/Moto62
Stamford,Ct

Dick Elliott
01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
I thought You cleaned the tar out of your racer because you didn't want it to look like dogie poo all over the floorboards. I've been wrong all these years???? Scott Rhea said it best about not being what you build but how you build it. Pride is the word. If you don't have any, just put the carpet back in.

Mazmarc
01-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ITSRX7:
Nick Leverone is in the middle of a full resto (bare frame sandblast and paint) of his NARRC/NERRC winning ITS RX-7. He just took all that crap out. We figure much closer to 40 pounds for a 2nd gen car. He took it ALL out - under the dash etc...

AB

So this is what you guys do when its frozen up there. Gee, we just had a race at Sebring.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I

GEO46
01-08-2003, 03:39 AM
Thanks Marc, that's just what us Michiganders REALLY need to hear now!!!:-)

p99ro
01-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Yea we may rebuild cars but i my self now have time to pay back my sponsors. VISA
Master Card Dicover Card.
Scott RX7 NER ITA

frazer
01-12-2003, 12:48 AM
and i thought those guys were only sponsoring me... =)

mike
rcf motorsports