PDA

View Full Version : How to fool a thermal sensor >

BALLZOUT
12-03-2002, 02:18 AM
On an 89 2nd gen how do we "exactly" fool our computer into thinking the motor is cold to richen up the mixture.What resister spliced into what color wire or jump what to do what to my you know what...what??????HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHelp. Thanks

eprodrx7
12-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Look in your shop manual for the test specs for the sensor. I think on the second gen a dead short or a resistance under 330K tells the ecu the motor is cold. On my old car and the EP car I replaced the sensor with a resistor telling the ucu what I wanted it to hear. Warning here, you do not want the motor running in full cold mode. There are other ways to richen your mixture. Screwing with the sensor effects the fule curve too much.

BALLZOUT
12-03-2002, 09:33 PM
Do tell more????? It just seems that when it's in cold mode she flies, and as it goes off full rich it falls off...alot!!!I mean we're talking really big diff. Thanks,Rick

moto62
12-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by BALLZOUT:
Do tell more????? It just seems that when it's in cold mode she flies, and as it goes off full rich it falls off...alot!!!I mean we're talking really big diff. Thanks,Rick

Ok. Just went tearing through the garage and could not find the shop manual for a 2G car. Anyway, go to Rado Shack and buy a couple of ohm resistors(1k,2k,3k...)Splice one in the one of the wires coming from the coolant temp sensor starting with the highest # resistor you got(do not exceed 6k) Check performance after the engine is warm. If it revs smoothly up to red line, It's good. If it sputters, then too much resistance. Use a lower # resistor and so on, or you can buy a coolant temp that already does this for you.
I don't think the extra horses you feel when the car is cold is due to the fuel mixture. This is due to fact that when a rotary motor is cold the compression ratio is at its highest and as things begin to warm up the tolerances inside the engine increases thus reducing the compression ratio.(It's a rota mota thing). Feels like you left some horses behind at turn 1. BTY,I did go by you a couple of times at the OMP thing in Oct.(green 1g7), but by next event, you'll be super fast. Make sure you give me a thumbs up on the way by http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray/Rmoto

------------------

Karl Bocchieri
12-04-2002, 09:19 PM
You don't have to play with the coolant sensor. Just disconnect the O2 sensor, the engine then goes into open loop and goes rich.

BALLZOUT
12-05-2002, 01:10 AM
I do have Mr o2 sensor undone and I do belive the open loop rich trick may help. I do also belive the "hot mota" theory, when I saw how glowy red(orange) my header gets on the rev I knew them there internals are a cookin, and heat of that caliber should lose power!!! The reason I felt the coolant thing might help is do to the fact I did a warm oil cold coolant run w/my foot mashed(never on cold oil)and she pulled harder that I'm soooooooooo used to, so my pea brain started thinking(also on warm oil)it must be time to do some computer foolin. I'll try the resistor thing and see how she does.Thanks,all.Rick

moto62
12-05-2002, 10:51 PM
[quote]Originally posted by moto62:
[B] BTY,I did go by you a couple of times at the OMP thing in Oct.(green 1g7), but by next event, you'll be super fast. Make sure you give me a thumbs up on the way by http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray/Rmoto

Hey Ballzout. Thought you were somebody else. Sorry, my bad.
Ray/Rmoto