PDA

View Full Version : ITA Spring rate suggestions

Scott Nutter
12-01-2002, 03:19 PM
I am doing my Xmas shopping (for me from my wife) and I am not sure what spring rate to purchase.

I just finished my 1st year racing.
I currently have Tokkico Illumas all around with Eiabach in the front RB in the rear street springs (stiffest combo of the two).
At best I could say I am a back mid packer.
Main tracks will be Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, and Mid-Ohio.
I run stock rims with 205/60 Kumho's.

I am going to buy coil overs for more camber adjustability. Also I noticed MazdaSpeed has older stock coilovers for $70 as opposed to $130, any reason as to not go for the older style.

Thanks for any response,
Scott Nutter

PS Forgot to mention the car in question is an ITA Rx7.

[This message has been edited by Scott Nutter (edited December 01, 2002).]

RacinRich
12-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Scott,
Jim Susko of G-Force Engineering can answer your IT7 specific suspension questions. He also has IT7 suspension parts available for purchase.
www.gforceengineering.net (http://www.gforceengineering.net)

RX767
12-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Scott,
Like you, I am busy putting together part numbers for my wife to help with Christmas shopping. I spent this last season installing Jim Susko's suspension in the rear of my ITA - IT7(CEN.DIV.) RX7. I have his GT panhard and Tri-link. I have turn-in spacers and new bushings to install in the front for this year. I am also going to stiffer springs in the rear since the Eibachs that came with the car will be too soft.

You might want to start with his set-up manual. It is around $75 and worth more than that in terms of its contents. It will give you a solid direction for improving the handling and he discloses strategies regarding spring rates.

Has your RX7 been lowered? Jim does an excellent job of revealing the problems that arise when RX7s are lowered for road racing purposes, and the binding that occurs when the upper control arms remain active.

What sold me on Jim Susko's suspension is the fact that he approaches the RX7 as an entire system that recognizes that if you change one aspect of it, other parts will be effected. Too often, we chase handling problems symtomatically, and create other problems with our "improvements".

Bill Emery
ITA#23

lateapex911
12-03-2002, 10:38 PM
All the secrets for $75 bucks...it is the best deal in Mazda land! Plus, he's a bright guy, and calls you back. Two thumbs up!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Scott Nutter
12-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Alright already! I did it, I finally called Jim Susko and ordered my setup manual. Only 2 years after I first thought about it.

Thanks for the prodding http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

lateapex911
12-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Scott Nutter:
Alright already! I did it, I finally called Jim Susko and ordered my setup manual. Only 2 years after I first thought about it.

Thanks for the prodding http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

you'll be glad you did. But remember...the more adjustments there are, the more there is that you have to adjust and understand!

But he helps you understand. Knowledge is power.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]