PDA

View Full Version : Header Jam

Jim Innella
10-21-2002, 10:21 AM
I am in a tight spot. Blew my header testing last week. The IT7 car was originally built by Heinz Brothers in North Carolina.I tracked down the guy who built the car at SDJ Motorsports , also in NC. He told me the header was made by Pace and they don't make them anymore.SDJ makes a really good header but I won't have time to fabricate the exhaust system before the Sebring race this weekend.Does anyone know where I could find the original Pace header? If not ,since I will have to start from scratch, can anyone recommend the best exhaust system setup for my car.Car was originally a 1981 but was built as a race car in 97 so I am not sure where the block is from ( maybe that doesn't matter). The motor ran pretty strong so before I invest $1000 - $1500 on a system I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks
Jim I
IT7 #60

Silkworm
10-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Not sure if Pace = Pacesetter, but NOPI.COM sells the Pacesetter Header for the 12As..

Again, I have no idea if this is the same header, but that's the only place I know of that sells the Pacesetter Header

HTH

PaulC

rx7chris
10-21-2002, 01:00 PM
if the pace header is really a pacesetter than you should have no problem finding it. Although their design has changed since last year. If not, run the RB header into a 2.5-3.5(can't remeber exact size) pipe all the way, under the axle, to a dynomax muffler. 3.0 in and out.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more ?'s dont be afraid to ask.

------------------
Chris
IT7 #88
PowerTrip Racing
http://www.geocities.com/ptripracing/

balz
10-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Not sure about the Pace header but I can assure you that the SDJ header is worth the money. Get 3" round tubing from BSR in Moresville NC and a dynomax round muffler ($189). Weld them up yourself and total you'll have about 700 invested total.

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

lateapex911
10-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by balz:
Not sure about the Pace header but I can assure you that the SDJ header is worth the money.

Hey Balz!

I checked out the SDJ 12a header on their website, and I have a few questions....I'm glad you have experience with it!

First, what exactly makes the power on this header? Second, is the diameter pipe appropriate? What diameter is it? And third, do they grind the welds on the interior of the pipes as they construct the header? Or are the welds and related bumps unimportant in the Hp search?

Do you think this header produces more Hp than any other? A good comparison might be the unbiquitous Racing Beat design.

I ask this not to challenge, but as an interested future header buyer. I currently have the ISC header, which is a very pretty stainless steel affair, similar in appearance to the RB unit, but I'm unsure of it's position in the big picture, Hp-wise!

Thanks!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Hotshoe
10-23-2002, 08:37 AM
I use an ISC header. It has given very good performance. And has lasted for over four seasons and fifty races.

Rick Thompson
#99 IT7
2002 SARRC Champion

Jim Innella
10-23-2002, 06:06 PM
I spoke with the guy at SDJ and he says their header is good for an extra 10% or maybe it was just 10 HP. The guys at Speedsource helped me out by patching mine so I could race this weekend , but I will have to make a permanent fix (new header)soon.Who sells the ISC header? Does anyone have a contact #.
Jim
IT7 #60

Hotshoe
10-24-2002, 08:39 AM
ISC Racing Services Staff
Email: [email protected]
Office: 1-863-324-4539
Fax: 1-863-324-0915

#99 IT7

balz
10-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

Hey Balz!

I checked out the SDJ 12a header on their website, and I have a few questions....I'm glad you have experience with it!

First, what exactly makes the power on this header? Second, is the diameter pipe appropriate? What diameter is it? And third, do they grind the welds on the interior of the pipes as they construct the header? Or are the welds and related bumps unimportant in the Hp search?

Do you think this header produces more Hp than any other? A good comparison might be the unbiquitous Racing Beat design.

I ask this not to challenge, but as an interested future header buyer. I currently have the ISC header, which is a very pretty stainless steel affair, similar in appearance to the RB unit, but I'm unsure of it's position in the big picture, Hp-wise!

Thanks!

I'll try to answer to the "best of my ability"...

1. IMHO..its the length of the pipe and the collection point into a 3" collector. My recommendation is to run 3" pipe straight (with 2x45 degree connectors) to the back and use a "free flow" exhaust.

2. IMHO it is...the pipe to the collector is (I think, but will confirm later) 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" pipe that runs back to the collector. VERY similar to Paul yaw's setup. I do think the pipe size is appropriate.

3. From what I have seen, the pipe is ground to mate up, and the welds are of what "I" would call very good quality.

4. I like this header a LOT more then I did the Racing Beat header, although I can't tell you the HP differences (yet). I have not run them side by side but, the car does seem to "continue" to pull more with this header over the RB header.

I have never run an ICS header, but most of Mike V's stuff is really good as well.

Send me an e-mail and I will send you the output of my last set of Dyno data with the RB header installed. I am going to try to go again before the ARRC and will have a comparison*** with the SDJ header.

***....Different environmental variables will change HP...

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org

lateapex911
10-25-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by balz:
I'll try to answer to the "best of my ability"...

Send me an e-mail and I will send you the output of my last set of Dyno data with the RB header installed. I am going to try to go again before the ARRC and will have a comparison*** with the SDJ header.

***....Different environmental variables will change HP...

Great info, Balz....I've got an email written, but I guess I'm missing something...what's your email addy? I tried your www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org), but no luck...

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

balz
10-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Sorry about that...I thought it was in my profile...

e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks!

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org

ivey
11-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Just saw ISC header and exhaust at sebring today great setup and price is also great

steve s
12-02-2002, 04:14 PM
the isc header is a very good piece. that's what i'm using on my car.but i use dual pipes to a 3" super trap. no noise problems 101 db yhe highest reading so far . at the arrc i know the sdj setup had noise problems find out b4 you buy around what will the noise level be . you can make all the hp but it's no good if you are blacked flagged for noise or sent home.

------------------
steve saney

lateapex911
12-03-2002, 12:16 AM
I have the ISC, dual pipes to a 3" Stainless Dynomax. Which is an expensive straight pipe! I can see the ports if i look in at the right angle!

dBs are 101.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]