PDA

View Full Version : LSD ID

rickster
11-25-2002, 10:49 PM
While at the junkyard the other day, I spotted a 1985 RX7 which had a disc brake rearend. No ID on the car as to the model, GS, GL,etc. Also, in the truck was a rearend middle section, ie-no axles or disc rotors. This rear end had numbers all over it. Is there a sure way to identify an LSD rearend?

moto62
11-26-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by rickster:

Is there a sure way to identify an LSD rearend?[/B]

Yes man Rickster. Jack up the rear of the car(hopefully they will let you)go to one of the rear wheels and spin it. If the wheel on the other side spins in the same direction, grab it and go. If it spins in the opposite direction, put the car down and continue your search. Sometimes the limited slip rears also have a yellow tag around the oil fill plug but these usually disappear over time. Cool runnings.
Rmoto

dickita15
11-26-2002, 09:22 AM
two stupid questions
did they make disc brake rears without limited slip. i thought only drum rears were open.
didn't 85's come with 13b as well as 12a's with diffent bolt patterns.
dick

Allen Brown
11-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Also, if the rear discs are vented...You have a GSL-SE (13b car). Solid discs are a 12a car. I believe I have it right...

Quickshoe
11-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by dickita15:
two stupid questions
did they make disc brake rears without limited slip. i thought only drum rears were open.
didn't 85's come with 13b as well as 12a's with diffent bolt patterns.
dick

Not stupid questions at all.

1) no they didn't make non-LSD disc brake rears for 12a 1st gens. That's not to say that someone didn't upgrade and hang disc brakes on a non-LSD rearend.

2) 84 and 85's came with either a FI 6-port 13b's (GSL-SE) or a carbed 12A. They have 2 different bolt patterns and the 12A's have 13" wheels. 14's on the 13B's.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited November 26, 2002).]