PDA

View Full Version : Vibrator (w/out batteries)

BALLZOUT
11-21-2002, 01:26 AM
Made you look!!!Actually, what we have here is a second gen on a new(Mazda factory rebuild)motor throwing a seamingly innosent( by piston engine standards) ultra slight variable vibration. At idle she's smooth, off idle she's close to norm, as you step it up you start to feel a bit of a "non teeth" chattering vibe, as the rpm's climb the vibration does also(and no, there is absolutly nothing rubbing on the body), but the wild part is at a few certian stops along the tachs way the vibe will actually stop,i.e.5,400 rpm, and again at somthing like 3,100. It seems to be flywheel related, or maybe clutch, I belive. I'm breaking in this thing real slow too, 60 miles at each 500 rpm increment, and I'm up to 5,000 so far. See the thing is I don't want to kill this motor too soon, seeings as thouygh our season has just begun. So the "BIG" question is... how much vibration is O.K., some,none or a whole hand full????? One more note, w/ a factory rebuild, you get a year warranty, so if this thing is'nt right I might just pull it and try again. ( depends on some of you Mazda cats insightfull advise) Thanks,Rick

GEO46
11-21-2002, 01:32 AM
Not sure on the 13B's or second gens, but my 83 12A has NO vibrations, (at least from the engine). From what I hear, neither should yours. Then again, I've never broken in a new engine either.

joeg
11-21-2002, 09:00 AM
I would suspect anything in the drive train other than the motor--pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, tranny, u-joints etc.

Rob May
11-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Check your motor mounts, and your tranny mount. If the are worn out, drooping, it will give you a vibration. I would check the tranny mount first. It has a center piece that should be rubber mounted to the mount in like 4 places. If it is worn out, it transmits vibration very well. It could be your driveshaft also. Don't get it rebalanced though, buy a new one. Rebalancing has never worked for me.

[This message has been edited by Rob May (edited November 21, 2002).]

Crack Monkey
11-21-2002, 12:03 PM
I'll second the tranny mount. Or the driveshaft/u-joints.

C. Ludwig
11-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Driveshaft.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Karl Bocchieri
11-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Do you have the correct flywheel to match the front and rear counterweight and the rotors? Any mismatched parts can cause a vibration. Different year flywheels match different front and rear counterweights. Does it happen in neutral without the car moving? If only when moving I would check all the previous posters sugestions before I look at the engine.

moto62
11-22-2002, 03:38 AM
Ballzout,
Sitting in neutral going through the revs, should be no vibration. If there is, then the engine is out of balance assuming the replacement engine is of the same year as the one you took out originally. If the vibration is felt as you are in gear(driving) then look at the drivetrain starting with the pilot bearing and work your back. The enging does have a 12 mth, 12,000mi wrnty. Convincing mazda that there is a problem is a whole other issue. Best to start the process a.s.a.p because it could take weeks before you get it resolved.
Ray
Rmoto

C. Ludwig
11-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Yeah, got to thinking. It isn't neccesarily the driveshaft.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv