PDA

View Full Version : Central Division IT7 Class for 2003

rgrunenw
10-15-2002, 09:45 PM
See post under "Midwest and Central Division" section.

rgrunenw
10-18-2002, 04:27 PM
NEDiv, Middiv, SEDiv ITA RX7 Drivers:

As some of you have picked up elsewhere on these forums, there is a proposal on the table with the SCCA Central Division Racing committee to make IT7 a Regional Class within Cendiv for 2003.

WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK ALL ITA RX7 DRIVERS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Phil Keirn is our point person on the Central Division Racing Committee, and has asked for an indication by competitors on their desire to compete. Many CENDIV tracks are frequented by competitors from adjacent divisions (NEDiv, SEDiv, Middiv), so we would appreciate your support.

Please send a quick note to Phil indicating your support, and (if appropriate) your intention to participate in this class in Cendiv in 2003. What follows is some sample text you can use - please modify as you see fit:

"As an ITA RX7 comptetitor, I fully support the establishment of IT7 as a regional series in SCCA Central Division. In other divisions, such a class has provided for large, competitive fields, camraderie, and competition for RX7 drivers.

For 2003, a regional class will help increase participation among existing drivers, bring cars deemed by their owners uncompetitive in ITA out of the garage and onto the track, and provide a low-cost, sports car based venue for new drivers.

I fully intend to enter as an IT7 competitor in all Central Division races I attend during 2003. I am looking forward to formal notification.

Joe Racer
Member 123456
Region Name"

Phil's email is:
[email protected]

Phil's address is:

1660 East Cider Mill Road
Columbia City, IN 46725

Thanks for your support!

Dave Damouth
Rich Grunenwald
Rich Miller

balz
10-19-2002, 12:24 PM
COPY of my e-mail is bellow.

Phill,

As an ITA (IT7) competitor, I fully support the establishment of IT7 as a regional series in SCCA Central Division. In the Southeast division, where I live and compete on a regular basis, this class has continued to grow and thrive.

For 2003, an IT-7 regional class will help increase participation among existing drivers, bring cars deemed by their owners uncompetitive in ITA out of the garage and onto the track, and provide a low-cost, sports car based venue for new drivers.

The central division will also have the ability to attract drivers out of other regions that love to travel and race on different tracks. I found out late in the year that the Central Division was seeding the idea of an "intro offer" to IT-7, and that you in-fact had a separate set of trophies for the ITA/7 competitors at Mid-Ohio a few times this year. Being a competitor that likes to travel and race at different tracks, you would have my support for next year.

I fully intend to enter as an IT7 competitor in all Central Division races I attend during 2003. I am looking forward to formal notification.

Frank Ball
Member #281976
Atlanta Region (SEDiv)

www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

rgrunenw
10-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Thanks to all who have written in support of IT7 as a regional class in Cendiv is 2003.

Please keep those letters going! As a reminder, send your emails to: Phil Keirn, Cendiv Regional Racing Committee, [email protected]

Thanks!

Rich Grunenwald

Speed Raycer
11-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Heard it got shot down? That true?

JIgou
11-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Speed Raycer:
Heard it got shot down? That true?

It got shot down at the Midiv convention this past weekend - I know that for sure.

Can't comment on Cendiv....

Jarrod

RacinRich
11-06-2002, 03:33 PM
CenDiv is still alive. We are meeting with CenDiv officials at the CenDiv Roundtable on November 16.

lateapex911
11-06-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm so jealous of you guys...!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

GEO46
11-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Take it to them Rich, and all. Even though I know that I will be resricted by budget to WHRRI next year, (lucky if I can afford the whole season there). Still, I think it is a valiant(SC) and worthwhile effort.

RacinRich
11-07-2002, 03:03 PM
GEO46, lateapex911, (or anyone else that may want to race in the CenDiv IT7 class)

Even if you may not race at a CenDiv track next year (but may the year after)or may only tow to one of our fine racing facilities only once or twice per season, please provide your support by indicating your future intent to participate in the IT7 class. We need everyone to contact Phil Keirn and express their CenDiv IT7 interest.

RX767
11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Thank you for the effort you guys are making in the establishment of IT7 in the Central Division. Below is a copy on the e-mail I sent this afternoon. I regret we do not have IT7 in the NE and I would like to pursue that possibility. I look forward to racing with you at Nelson Ledges and hopefully Mid Ohio.

All the best,

Bill Emery
ITA#23

Mr. Keirn,
Currently, I compete in ITA in a first generation RX7. I strongly favor the creation of IT7 in not only the Central Division, but in all divisions. An examination of IT7's success in other divisions reveals that it is a popular and economical means of competition.
The Rx7, despite being over 20 years old, is still a very attainable car in its street version. In race trim, it has proven to be a very durable and reliable race car. I have heard of examples of drivers who have competed in more than 20 races on the same engine before initiating a rebuild.
Moreover, it is stongly supported in the performance parts market by numerous small businesses and prep. shops. By creating an IT7 class in the Central Division, these businesses will be provided with more opportunity and the possibility that the market will allow for additional businesses to compete.
On a more personal level, I feel as though I am trapped between a rock and the ground regarding the ITA RX7 in the Northeast Division. This past Summer and Fall were spent redoing the suspension, fuel delivery(braided lines, pump, Yaw carb) , safety (fuel cell), drive line (4:88 differential, lighter rims) and fixing some minor crash damage. I also updated my belts and helmet. I estimate that I have spent in the range of three to four thousand dollars on, what may be at best, a midpack contender in ITA. I take full responsiblity for my economic decisions, but I also see full fields of IT7 with close racing in other divisions. I think that success can be replicated in the Central Division.
With the creation of IT7, the Central Division will draw RX7 drivers from other divisions. I do compete regularly at Nelson Ledges, and I would like to race at Mid Ohio. With the creation of this class, my entry fees may go to a Central Division events despite the longer tow.
Thank you for your consideration and please support IT7.

Bill Emery
Member 202404
Glen Region

lateapex911
11-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Nuff said....here's the content of my Dear Phil letter:

....I'm writing to encourage you adopt IT -7 in the Cen div. Although I won't make it often, I would love the opportunity to race in a competitive field. I have a once competitive RX-7, and despite upgrades, and personal best lap times (usually the first or second fastest RX-7), I find myself further and further away from the front of the ITA class.

Adding the designation will encourage disenfranchised RX-7 owners to bring the garaged cars out of the garage, and back to the track.

Make no mistake, I know of RX-7 owners who just don't come to the track anymore because they feel that they are fighting an uphill battle. They have watched the value of their car depreciate, and even if they wanted to start again in a more competitive car, they can't afford it, in part due to the lack of value their present car has. Adding this class should be a win-win...more entries, more satisfied happy racers, and fairer competition.

I would encourage you to take the initiative....maybe the remaining divisions will take the hint, and we will have a new vital area for hundreds of currently semi -retitred and active racers.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

RacinRich
11-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys. Be sure to tell your other RX7 racers.

RacinRich
11-18-2002, 09:57 AM
IT7 has been approved as an optional CenDiv class for 2003. Go to MidWest & CenDiv forum for more info.

RX767
11-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Well done and thank you. I will order the "/7" graphic for my car and look forward to attending some Central Division races in 2003.

Bill Emery
ITA#23 + longer tow = IT7#23

[This message has been edited by RX767 (edited November 20, 2002).]