PDA

View Full Version : Rear Spoiler Make Any Difference?

Eagle7
11-01-2002, 10:23 PM
For a 2nd gen ITS car, I've got available to me:
* no spoiler - current status
* the rubbery low-profile spoilerette
* the wing-type spoiler
(please excuse the descriptions - I don't know the vocabulary yet).

My question is - does it make any difference? Am I free to put on whichever I want?

Karl Bocchieri
11-02-2002, 06:39 PM
The black low profile rubber spoiler prevents lift by extending the airflow off the window and doesn't increase drag. Wing type has too much drag.
The lowest Cd figures for the RX-7 were with the optional areo kit, it included rear wheel rocker pannel extentions, a metal pan that covers the engine from the front crossmember to past the bellhousing, and the small black spoiler.

Eagle7
11-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Karl Bocchieri:
The black low profile rubber spoiler prevents lift by extending the airflow off the window and doesn't increase drag. Wing type has too much drag.
The lowest Cd figures for the RX-7 were with the optional areo kit, it included rear wheel rocker pannel extentions, a metal pan that covers the engine from the front crossmember to past the bellhousing, and the small black spoiler.
For ITS, am I allowed to use a different spoiler than the car was manufactured with? If not, would you choose manual steeting with the low profile rubber spoiler ('86 Sport) or PS with the wing spoiler ('88 GTU)?

lateapex911
11-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Eagle7:

For ITS, am I allowed to use a different spoiler than the car was manufactured with?

Um...No.

And I think Kirk set you up on the PS issue.

As an aside, I might check out how many 2nd gen cars run the ARRCs with what kind of spoiler. I seem to remember most of the 2nd gen guys in ITS running naked!.....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITSRX7
11-03-2002, 09:07 PM
All of the SpeedSource cars I have ever seen run the 89-91 wing. Probably because that is what car they are based on.

I would bet it doesn't help but would the SS guys run it if it hurt?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
[email protected]

Eagle7
11-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Um...No.

And I think Kirk set you up on the PS issue.

As an aside, I might check out how many 2nd gen cars run the ARRCs with what kind of spoiler. I seem to remember most of the 2nd gen guys in ITS running naked!.....

I'm sure Jake is refering to a thread in the Tech Talk section where I asked about converting Power Steering to manual. Kirk replied "If the car (as defined by the ITCS spec line) was offered without PS, you may run without it."
Jake, are you disagreeing with Kirk about the GCR? Are you saying a car with PS must remain PS?
And are you saying a car manufactured with the wing spoiler couldn't be changed to the black rubber low profile spoiler?
If that is true, would it also be true that I couldn't remove the spoiler entirely, and run "naked"?
Be patient with me. One of these days I'll get the GCR figured out. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif

Thanks

lateapex911
11-04-2002, 01:56 AM
I'm sure Jake is refering to a thread in the Tech Talk section where I asked about converting Power Steering to manual. Kirk replied "If the car (as defined by the ITCS spec line) was offered without PS, you may run without it."
Jake, are you disagreeing with Kirk about the GCR? Are you saying a car with PS must remain PS?
And are you saying a car manufactured with the wing spoiler couldn't be changed to the black rubber low profile spoiler?
If that is true, would it also be true that I couldn't remove the spoiler entirely, and run "naked"?
Be patient with me. One of these days I'll get the GCR figured out. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif

Thanks

Nope, I agree with Kirk, 100%.

I checked the GCR quickly, and I may have missed something, but there is no mention of a rear spoiler being allowed. But as there is only one line in the ITCS listings for your 13B Mazda, all the models fall into that line...the GXL, the GTU, and so on. And since the car came WITH a spoiler, you are free to run one. And since it came WITHOUT a spoiler on certain models (that are included in the same GCR line), you are free to run naked, but please...at least wrap yourself with a checkerd flag! The key here is that you have a choice of whatever came on any model on that line as STOCK equipment. Those of us that have cars that never came with a spoiler must do without.

So, you can run the lip, or the wing, or nothing, but NOT any aftermarket spoiler.

I hope thats right!

If a wiser one spots a mistake, speak up! For more info, check out the first page of the ITCS rules section where it explains the ins and outs of the update/backdate rule.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Eagle7
11-04-2002, 08:17 AM

Nope, I agree with Kirk, 100%.
So, you can run the lip, or the wing, or nothing, but NOT any aftermarket spoiler.

I hope thats right!

Great! You've got me back to where I think I've got a handle on this aspect of the rules again. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

In another thread I asked whether an aftermarket integrated front bumper/air dam is allowed (no response yet). The GCR specifically allows an air dam, but I don't know about incorporating the integrated bumper. Care to comment?

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited November 04, 2002).]

lateapex911
11-05-2002, 01:22 AM
Great! You've got me back to where I think I've got a handle on this aspect of the rules again. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

In another thread I asked whether an aftermarket integrated front bumper/air dam is allowed (no response yet). The GCR specifically allows an air dam, but I don't know about incorporating the integrated bumper. Care to comment?

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited November 04, 2002).]

OK, I'll take a shot....

Depends on what you mean by "integrated". If it means that the stock bumper or bumper cover gets removed, then it's a no go.

The GCR lists the requirements for airdams, and includes a height limit of 4" above the front wheel hub horizontal centerline. It also specifically mentions attaching TO bumper covers....no mention of REPLACING them....and you know the old "If it doesn't say you can, then you can't" mantra.....

Hope this helps....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Eagle7
11-05-2002, 08:07 AM

OK, I'll take a shot....

Depends on what you mean by "integrated". If it means that the stock bumper or bumper cover gets removed, then it's a no go.

The GCR lists the requirements for airdams, and includes a height limit of 4" above the front wheel hub horizontal centerline. It also specifically mentions attaching TO bumper covers....no mention of REPLACING them....and you know the old "If it doesn't say you can, then you can't" mantra.....

Hope this helps....

Helps a lot, Jake. It's kind of what I was thinking, but couldn't prove to myself. Helps me make a decision I already wanted to make anyway. I think the old car gets trashed and a new one is born.

Thanks.

Knestis
11-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Don't forget the aluminum hood http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif.

Kirk

Eagle7
11-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
Don't forget the aluminum hood http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif.

Kirk

OK, this is to test me, right? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Since some of the 2nd gen RX-7's in ITS came stock with aluminum hoods, I'm free to replace my steel hood with aluminum.

BTW, I expect that the primary benefit of the aluminum hood is not the weight savings, but the opportunity to put that weight where you want it - low and to the rear. Right?

Knestis
11-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. We have a winner! At least, that is the case if you can get one of those cars to the minimum weight.

K

Karl Bocchieri
11-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Most later cars came with the wing because Mazda was trying to sell cars, and wings look cool compared to the black rubbery spoiler that turns grey and cracks with age.
The Racing Beat Bonneville car that ran 240mph used the ugly black one. (painted white)

Quickshoe
11-05-2002, 10:07 PM
The ITCS says that "...no dealer installed or limited production...". How is limited production defined? If any factory installed spoiler for that model on the same spec line is okay, why make special mention of the Mr2 rear wing being allowed?

I read somewhere (old mazda comp book?) that the black rubber spoiler produces a lower Cd than no spoiler.