PDA

View Full Version : 89 or 87?

maverick18
10-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Okay here is the deal. I have two cars and trying to decide which to use and which to part out.

87: complete car with sun roof, power windows, tilt wheel, body cavities pumped with "ziebart".

89: missing the front fenders, bumper cover, hood and head lights. No sun roof, manual windows, no tilt wheel.

I realize that I can use the 89 windows and steering wheel hardware on the 87, but the sunroof and "ziebart" is a delima. I don't think the the body panels will match on these two models.

Question: use the 87 and sport the extra weight?

Frank

C. Ludwig
10-12-2002, 09:34 AM
I'm almost positive the fenders will swap with the front bumper cover. I think the basic uni-body and the mounting holes are the same. The difference being the shape of the bumper cover and the way it attaches to the fenders. The sunroof, once it's stripped is actually a very small weight difference. Though the pound or two it does cost you could not be any higher up in the car.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Karl Bocchieri
10-12-2002, 11:01 AM
The 89 has the newer computer, injection system, lighter high compression rotors, worth a few HP. It's quite difficult to switch over an early car to the later fuel injection system. The whole wire harness is different. Not impossible just hard. I would stick with the 89 and find some sheetmetal.

Chris Wire
10-14-2002, 03:11 PM
I agree with Karl.

Part out the 87 and use the funds to complete the 89. Since ideally you would want the 89 engine/electronics, why go backward first? Used sheetmetal is cheap, easy to install, and plentiful.

Ebay, ThePartsTrader.com, and RX7club.com are all viable places to start parting out the 87. I did it with my 89 and by the time I sold the interior and wheels, I had virtually paid for the car!

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

BALLZOUT
10-27-2002, 10:47 PM
Have'nt been out to type w/you cool cats for a while, but I could'nt pass this one up. For my money DEFINATLY go for the 89. The bumper covers are exact, except, the side molding is different so you have to rob the 87 fender extention molding to fake it right. Body parts I know, Rick