PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Taper Wear

backformore
10-18-2002, 05:56 PM
On my 2nd gen, after one double race weekend on new pads, I noticed the following:

The pads, particularly the front outer pads, are noticeabley more worn on the outside of the pad (away from the hub). On the disc, the inside (closest to the hub) inch looks as if it is polished smooth while the outer portion appears rougher and grooved in a fashion that is consistent with "normal" wear.

The rear rotors show similar symptoms, although less severe which is to be expected.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal? Is there a fix?

I would be less surprised if it had occurred on only one corner. That would be representative of a problem with something at that corner. But all four corners?

Rory

PS Front Rotors only 3 races old using Hawk Blues front and rear.

balz
10-18-2002, 08:14 PM
I have seen this. Symptom was similar except, wear pattern was off on the inside and outside pad. Cause..caliper mounting bracket was bent.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the caliper is pinching at the top, but not making good contact on the bottom portion of the pad.

That's my guess,

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

lateapex911
10-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Caliper flex?

As in the top (or outer part of the disc) part of the caliper has a shorter lever arm, and doesn't flex as much under pressure.

just a WAG....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

backformore
10-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I think you both Jake and Balz provide possible explanations. What really has me stumped is that it is on every corner. If it was a bent something or an improperly functioning something, it seems like a giant coincidence that the problem would exist at all 4 wheels.

The entire brake system is due for a rebuild, so hopefully something in the process will fix this problem along with the low, feelingless pedal.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Rory